Home Chat General Chat

2nd ever tri...mixed emotions..

Completed my 2nd ever sprint yesterday (North West), i did the cheshire one in May ..this is the same event with a different name.
The feeling was so different...my 1st tri i was totally switched on, did it with an old MTB, trainers and t-short...everything went completely to plan...swim/transitions/ the lot...
This time new road bike, bike shoes, tri top and swim lessons..but somehow wasn't in the race zone.... so race report...(was going to be brief but then couldn't stop writing!)

Went off too fast in the swim hit the folks in front & lost composure and spent next 14 lengths being kicked, elbowed and gave a few out as well...total chaos proper washing machine time and so different to last time..beat my time by 30 secs...
T1 went well and shot out on bike....overtook approx 15 peope in 1st 2-3km...then missed the bl**dy turning...round back couple of times find the route...chase down the pack again and passed them all....then reached for bottle dropped it under wheel....split second decision leave it or stop?...decided to stop and run back and get it (lesson learnt.. 2 bottles half full better than 1 bottle ?)....anyway pack all go past plus a few more......
so back on bike kicking myself....chased down and passed all the pack for 2nd time....and only got passed by a pointed head carbon speed demon.....i beat my bike time by 6 mins.....
then the run...T2 good...ran out and as usual i plodded ..tried to kick on in bursts ... beat the run by 2 mins so happy...
lessons...swim so important to do your own thing...still surprised i wanted to smash the swim when the guy said go....
must have looked a tw*t on the bike with all the others probably really thankful it wasn't them..however very happy i was able to recover......
In the run happy with time and if i shift some timber sure this will get quicker...
one thing i did do that i was told early on was to still enjoy it, thank every marshall, encourage the folks who have stopped and walking...doing this gives both them and you a boost and sure this is what carried me through...
now i need to decide if all that money spent equalled the 8.30 mins i got back ..

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Sounds like an event full race.
    We all have lessons to learn and experience to gain and I think we always will in some capacity.

But like you ended with its about enjoying the experience and loving the sport.

Well done and every penny is worth it when it comes to TRIATHLON!!!
  • 'then missed the bl**dy turning...round back couple of times find the route..'

Was it the first roundabout with the wierd signage?
  • that was the one...1st sign said turn left at island....hit the island it said straight on....went round a couple of times..marshal shouted which way to go....should have known really from previous ride...but hey ho ...i know i wasn't the only one...
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Personally, dropped bottle stays dropped in a sprint, altho' Sunday was warm, a sprint is not generally long enough for drinking to make a huge difference, have a bottle in T2 for a quick swig before the run.
    Mind you I'd take 8 mins after all that faffing! Good job.