Home Chat General Chat

Swim time?

I have my 2nd OD tri this weekend, and it will be my last of the year before i start my base training on the bike and swim for next year (and Ironman). Before i start my base training on the swim, I was interested in finding out what is a reasonable time for the 1,500m swim? In my other tri I swan the 1,560m course (plus the extra from me swimming in zig zags) in 33mins, so i guess i can knock maybe 3 mins off that from the course being slightly shorter and more practise of sighting since then meaning i only go off course to the tune of 100 not about 200m.

So what is everyone else's swim time?

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    I just did 31 minutes for 1500M at Bala Tri last week. This is my best time so far, but I'm pretty slow.
  • 36mins I'm still learning technique, never was great at swimming
  • I still avaerage between 29 and 33 minutes, depending on conditions, course etc. I know I could go quicker, but I've been concentrating on stroke efficiency rather than pure speed. As I'm stepping up to IM next year I think it's the efficieny is more important to me.
  • I think around the 30-31min mark is the average for age groupers, so a decent enough time (that's me too).

If you can do this and still feel pretty fresh out of the water then you're in good shape I reckon. My plan is to go quicker though... Want to get nearer 26 (haha yeah right Dave) if I can. Have to work on increasing stroke rate though with out losing form.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    i'm hoping that i can get more efficient too dave for the same reasons, ideally i'd like to be able to do the 1,500 in about 25 although i doubt that'll happen... still I can dream!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i have swum 1500 in 27mins, but usually i'm around 30min split for swim (including the time out of the water and run to the timing mat).

i'm hoping that a winter of regular swim training with the local club will get this down to 26 for next year, but i'm not sure it will happen!
  • [toPh][toPh] Posts: 244
    I finished in 32mins at London, could have saved a couple of minutes I reckon as it was a wave of 500 odd!

Will be swimming all winter so hope to have that down next year.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I have an offically logged 1500 metres at 22:00 this year! But i think it must have been a bit short.

I did the great north Swim (1600) last week in 28:02. But then i had pretty much stopped swimming regularly by then because all of my tris were done - and it showed.
  • 22 mins, Mowf? Very nice.
    24:30 for me in a pool, 27 for mass start OW. 400m best this year is 5:44.
    Best OW swim ever was this year at Bournemouth pier-to-pier... 2km+ in 22 mins! I will admit to a minor current assist from the 4ft swells, though. :-D

A 30min 1500m is a great target.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    22 mins, Mowf? Very nice.
    Thanks. But i am pretty sure it was short. I'll take what i can get though!
  • 29:30 in the pool, not tried open water yet, that's next season's challenge!
  • Cant resist getting in on this one - I did my first ever OD this year, my swim time? 19mins 11 sec!!! No kidding. It was in the Hudson River tho with a fast current, but I'm claiming it as my PB and sticking to it. Did the Great North swim (1 mile) in 35mins - no current in Lake Windermere!
  • hathat Posts: 10
    I did 23:48 in the London tri. Swimming is my my strongest leg though. I do 22 in a 25m pool.
  • Usually around the 20 min mark for 1.5k but went 22.53 for the 1.9k at Graniteman HIM a coupe of weeks ago, first out of the water .
    I've come predominantly from a swimming background.