Home Chat General Chat

another knee injury

bla bla.. ITB is acting up.. i was out for a 20k run and after 10k I was reduced to a limp.

Anyway i know its due to pronation. Im not a bad pronator but after the mileage clocks up it can build up pressure i suppose. Anyway. I cant afford new runners so gonna buy some insoles..(mmoney is going to the physio instead)

Has anyone used "Footdisc Support Insoles" they are on wiggle? Or can anyone advise on insoles for pronation.

(A very sore) IK

Comments

• willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    have you tried a foam roller - did the trick for me...
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    Hey,

I havent. A guy at work just said that to me 2 mins ago.

Did it take long to sort out? Does it give a good deep rub?

IK
    Basically - i've found the harder the roller the better.

I got mine from http://www.physiosupplies.com/acatalog/ ... _45cm.html

Lie on your side like a plank and roll the ITB over the roller for as long as you can stand.

Pretty painful but i'm sure it sorted me out.

It's not perfect as the ITB keeps on coming back but then do a bit of roller and it goes away.

This is probably down to me not continuing the roller when the leg feels better - will i ever learn?????

Good luck
  • foam roller helps, but stretching has cured me after a year of problems,
    i will a to atempt to descrbe,
    stand straight, cross legs over so the leg that is crossed is bent at the knee and your balancing on your toe of the bent leg ,
    the other foot [straight leg ] should be flat on the floor,
    now lean to the side of the straight leg and hold for 30 secs, do this twice on both sides,
    i do this morning and evening & before and after a run,
    it stretches the itb from the hip, and so far has cured my problems. if i can find a better desciption i will post it , good luck.
    Brilliant.

I have physio booked, but future prevention is what i want.

Cheers to both of you.

IK
  • If you're feeling really sadistc you can use a rolling pin, yes a normal wooden one for cooking. Boy does it hurt like hell, but it does the job!
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    foam roller, all kinds of foam roller stuff for every part of body (almost) at coreperformance.com all good for legs and back. Good strectching routines too.

I also run with an itb strap most of the time https://www.physique.co.uk/dolc_product.asp?CaNo=44&SubId=40&PCId=154

Use an icepack on side of knee after long/hard runs.

I use this Walt Reynolds exercise when I remember, it's good http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0168-knee-injuries.htm

Ade
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i'm one who has done stretching to help relieve my mild itb (in my knee as well). i do the same stretches as toomuchtrifle, as well as some 'clams' (you lie on the floor, on your side and do controlled leg lifts - see if you can find it online somewhere), and single leg bridge lifts.

so far it's sorted me out, i do them a few times a week and i've not had symptoms for a while now.
    ok ive ordered a foam roller and a support. Thanks for the links.

Next question is will I be ready for Dublin Marathon in time

IK
    Sports physio suggested ibuprofen gel which helped with the irritation. I tried turning the shower on full cold after a run whcih seemed to help...

Good luck hope you make it!
    so i know i can swim while this injury is at me but is biking ok..
    its deffo ITB

IK
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    My physio had me off the bike for 2 weeks, it's not an impact injury but made worse by the repeated motion of the knee. 2 weeks of swim, core, swim-cords strength, stretching and rest. Was actually quite good and didn't really lose much fitness. Grumpy as heck though.

Ade
    At the risk of sounding like a girl (who does not partake in triathlons ) the foam roller is bloody excruciating.

my quads, ITB and all the connecting muscles around my knee are crying out. Is this expected??

IK
  • Yes it should hurt like F*CK!! Remember to have a gentle warm up before you do this and ice the area after. There are stretches for the ITB but roller the fecker out is always your best means of prevention. When you beat the crap out of it, take it easy the following day (i.e dont smack the piss out of an interval session).

.............enjoy
    ok thats ok then. No Pain no Gain and all that melarky. My Gf is doing some laughing at me rolling around the sitting room floor in tears.

Ill keep at it though.

How long of a rolling session would you do on your ITP. Do you do all around your quads/knees/hammers?

IK