Home Chat General Chat

Fairly new to tri

Hi all

i am fairly new to triathlon having only competed in the north west sprint at Nantwich in september. My overall time was 1hr 16 mins and 35 secs. Swim 00.10.18 Bike 00.44.07 run 00.22.10 over 500m 20k and 5k. This year i have so far enetered the Cheshire tri and and have enetered the london tri olympic distance.

Could any one provide me with some useful training tips

Thanks Rob

Comments

• Well, Roberto, that's a pretty big question. Your times are very respectable times for a first tri and I can't see much personal information about you in your profile here. A lot of the advice you might get would/should depend on your goals and motivations for doing triathlons and all that.

So, it seems that the best general advice would be that you should either join a club, where you can share experiences with other triathletes and get access to some structured training and coaching, or get yourself some direct access to a tri coach who can give you some some structured, guided training. Or get yourself one of the many excellent books available out there (Triathlon 101 is a good one that I like and seems to be well reviewed by other readers) and put together your own regimen, if that's more your style.

For what it's worth, I've never had the time or inclination to join a club. What I like about triathlon training is that it can fit around my daily and weekly schedule in a flexible way (I cycle to to work at least 5 days a week and go for runs or swims instead of taking coffee breaks), but I have met loads of people who get tremendous benefit from being part of a club. I sort of miss that whole camaraderie aspect of training that I had from being on teams when I was younger, but that's where I'm at in my life. So, for me, reading books, looking at web sites, doing races without being too hung up on how I compare to other racers (just getting excited about Personal Bests as oposed to my placement in any particular race or section of a race) has kept me going happily for about three years now, and I hope for the rest of my life.

Good luck!