Home Chat General Chat

Winter training, here we go!

Well its that time of year, i have one more tri on the 4th of october and then it really is plunging into the long haul winter training mode. i try and get as much 'free' training in as possible, cycling to uni/work, swimming in lunch breaks and running with friends. i dont know about you guys but i do find it hard to keep the diet going, i am happy to train but it is my diet that i have the least dicipline over. Anyway anyone have any tips on how to keep going through the long months and short days?

Best of luck to all of you heading into their winter training, see you on the other side!

Comments

• Unfortunately theres no secret to winter training, its a case of getting out there. I tend to train with others more during winter than summer. I have a superb (ex-GB 10k) running partner who drags me out and kicks my arse during the colder darker days.

With the diet? What are your issues? Eat a balanced and varied diet, however, dont worry about eating some "comfort" food and falling off the wagon occasionaly. Boring your mates over the festive season with calorific intake and fat content and carb load this and that is a sure fire way to being told theyl " C U Next Tuesday".

Use winter to improve on your weaker disciplines and forget about triathlon for a bit, come the new year you'll be smacking the crap out of all your sessions and loving it............
  • 45CDO45CDO Posts: 44
    I'm looking forward to the next 12 weeks where I'll have no real structure to my training - plenty of cross country, lots of hills, mountain biking and weight training - not a HRM to be seen.
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    my plans for the winter is to try and improve my running....i'm quite bike fit but running is just not my thing. but thats ok cause you can run in all weather and light conditions if you pick the right routes....also planning to have some swim coaching so i can work a little on getting that right.

Diet?? well i keep thinking about it and could prob do with it....but i too struggle...especially when i've trained cause i think that i've earned whatever i eat...lol