Home Chat General Chat

Which UK IM Distance Race

Looking for some advice on which 2010 IM distance race to do in the UK (I've decided on UK rather than Europe to do my first IM as I'll have a wife and three small kids in tow and the logistics of travelling will be easier for a UK race). Anyone got any suggestions on a race with a good athmosphere and which is spectator friendly. Was looking at IMUK but some mixed reports from this years race. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    well i'm biased cause i live on the doorstep of this and next years imuk but its got to be the M-dot event if you ask me.
    sure it had a few problems but overall the response was positive and i'll be doing it....and i think it will be better next year also
  • Mdot... I did it this year and since then there has been alot of chat about the poor organisation, but when its all said and done its the only IM race in the UK that can attract 2000 starters. Just a shame its not as good as the continental Mdots (apparently).

Alternatively there is the new Nottingham IM distance race which is attracting alot of attention but I'd still go for IMUK
  • Thanks for all the advice.

As it would be my first and possible my only IM distance race an M-Dot race would be the preferred option.

I should have said that I'd be coming over from Ireland so the UK is a better option than mainland Europe if I am bringing the kids, and it would be significantly cheaper and easier given that I could drive. My loose plan at the minute would be to hire a camper van and turn it into a longer family holiday. It would be nice to have the kiddies there but I take the point about it being a long day and lead up.

That said there is a certain appeal in going to Europe without the kids (and possibly the wife). Another option is to travel to mainland Europe without the kids using one of the travel agents that organise slots, travel and accomadation. Has anyone any experinece of / reccomendations for any of these travel agents?

Again many thanks.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    I've been wanting to do an M-dot 70.3 as my first but after browsing the web and looking at the swiss entry price I came across the Challenge Barcelona Half and it looks nice. No details prices for 2010 but entry prices and accommodation they were offering this year look pretty reasonable, possibly even cheaper than doing the UK/Swiss one. Starting to change my mind on the whole M-dot thing now.
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    I love barcelona...when is that race???
  • Have you considered the 'Ireman' near Belfast? Granted, it's a small event so completely the other side of the spectrum from an M dot, but it has a really positive friendly atmosphere. I went up to do the HI and even though I DNF'd (mechanical issues ) I'm definitely considering it for my first IM. It's well stewarded and a nice course (run kind of off roady though) - the HI starts about six hours after the Full and we were asked to give all the IM's as much encouragement as possible on the run which we did as much as possible, and I'm pretty sure they all finished. We got a really nice hotel five minutes from the race for a good price and your family can always nip off to Belfast for a bit of shopping and get back for your transitions or when you pass through town. No razzamatazz, but good vibes, I suppose it depends on what motivates you best at the end of a race.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    andyb99 wrote:
    I love barcelona...when is that race???
    this year HIM was may 24 and full is on oct 4. no details on next year on site.
  • I can only really comment on IMUK, i took part this year and really enjoyed it. Yes there has been a lot of bad press about certain aspects but i think generally it was well organised, the only reason it all went a bit "pete tong" was the weather. The week leading up to the race was bad even for the typical UK summer!
    The support on the route especially the bike was pretty awesome and I am looking forward to taking part agin next year!