Home Chat General Chat

Ironman UK 2009

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about next years event? I was talking to someone the other day who told me that it is very unlikely that it will take place in Bolton again due to the mistakes that were made this year. I for one quite enjoyed this years race.

Any ideas whats going on?

Comments

• bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    I wonder if IMUK organisers are getting a little worried with the competition from One Step Beyond, reading all the positive posts on TriTalk about the new "Outlaw" long distance triathlon next year

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60153
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Re closed roads.

Surely the cost of closing public roads must be astronomical?

Isn't there a private estate / country house etc in the UK with enough private roads that could be hired? If the bike leg was 4 laps you'd only need 28 miles. Obviously you'd need a lake too.
  • After the IMUK race this year the organisers said that they had signed a deal with bolton council that IMUK would be there until 2011 I think... so I doubt any change of venue next year.

Of course that doesn't mean it won't move
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    NIMBY's??? IMUK was in my back yard and the support around here was excellent....everybody i know knew it was going on and many went out to cheer people on. It did however only seem to make local news so what conehead said seems to be about right......doesn't get the coverage...but then triathlon doesn't in general in this country.

according to IMUK and bolton council (and the local news) it will be here for the next two years.....and you know what...i think the run might be a bit crap but the bike course is an excellent one.

pre registration is open now and according to them it will be in the same venue.....so i'm training now...lol
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    Support on the course was excellent, but I'm guessing all the folk sat in traffic jams won't have been so happy. Bit of the bike course over the moors was fantastic. I would do it again but the Nottingham Outlaws is £100 cheaper, and closer so saves ££ again. Don't need Mdot branding as I won't be qualifying for Hawaii any time soon. Haven't got anything to compare it against really, just seemed like a longer version of a 'normal' triathlon with pretensions of grandeur.

As for coverage - Channel 4, 8 a.m., this Sunday (27th September) no less. Now if that doesn't grab the nation's, attention nothing will.

Ade
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    yeah you make a good point CH...it would be great if it got the coverage...i must admit i've looked out for tri on tv and caught things like the IM in idaho and in austria and it was incredible to watch and made me want to try one despite feeling like i'm a million miles away....so if they got it right in this country maybe it could have the same impact.
    perhaps cause it was on my patch i looked at it through rose coloured glasses but when you mention no tri superstars were in attendance what you say makes absolute sense.

you should write a book about triathlon mate. :roll:
  • but when you mention no tri superstars were in attendance what you say makes absolute sense.
    What about Bella and Stephen Bayliss?? Fairly succesful IronPeople I'd say!!!!
  • Don't forget the winner Phil Graves, you know the 20 year old who 1 month earlier sent ripples through the Time Trialing World by finishing 3rd in the RTTC 100 mile Championships averaging over 27mph with a time of 3.37, let's see if there is another Triathlete on the planet with the capability of such a feat.
    Graves is off to Hawaii with the intention of setting a new bike course record either this year or next.