Home Chat Race Chat

Half ironman in 2010

After a succesful first year of sprint tris, I want to step it up in 2010. I've got a couple of Olympic distance races planned, but I really want to finish the season with a half-ironman.

Can anyone reccoment half IM events in the UK that would be suitable for a long-distance novice? I'm never going to be the best or the fastest on the course, but I give it my best every time.

Any training pointers for the half-ironman distance would also be appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    there are quite a few middle distance (equivalent to him) races in the uk, so location and time of the year might be most important to you. i think weymouth does an md, there's the little woody (near chepstow) and a new forest md about this time of year. i'm sure you'll find loads of other recommendations, and people here who have done those races.
  • If it's your first time stepping up to HIM, then I would recommend The Little Woody. A few of us did it this year, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It's held in the Forest of Dean, well organised, very laid back, but a killer of a bike leg.

Best thing though for first timers is there's only a 1 hour 20 minute time limit on the swim. As long as you can get out fo the water within that time then you've basically got the rest of the day to finish the bike and run legs.