Home Chat General Chat

lower leg discomfort after running

Hi,

I have now began to train for the marathon in a couple of months, and although I have not dramatically increased my mileage per week, circa 25 miles ish a week over 3 sessions, I have developed a strange pain in my lower leg, above the inside of my ankle. The feeling is not overly painful and only restricts meovement slightly... Has anyone else had this sort of feeling after running??

My other question being, could this be caused by worn out trainers?? If so what should I consider to be the uper most amount of mileage per pair? I bought my pair of asics in Feb-09, is it time for a change? (I train and race in the same pair just for additional information)

If anyone has had a similar experience it would be good to hear any advice.

Cheers

Dave

Comments

• willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    It's between 300 - 500 miles... i've been told you can tell when your getting loads of crinkling on the side of the sole of the shoe (not sure about that though).
  • willtri wrote:
    ... i've been told you can tell when your getting loads of crinkling on the side of the sole of the shoe (not sure about that though).
    Sounds about right: I always used to have lower left leg/ankle pain whilst running. Also had a niggling right hip problem at the same time. All came on gradually after having trainers for a couple of years. The sides of soles have defo crinkled up.

Had gait anlysis done and turns out I am mild overpronator on left side only which my natural stability asics were no good for. 60 quid later, for correct trainers, and I haven't suffered at all since and running is much more enjoyable. Did 10k off road race last saturday no probs.

Could be worn out trainers but get a gait analysis done if you haven't had one before, may highlight something else which could result in a more serious injury.