Home Chat General Chat

Run cadence

Just been for a run 7mile in 48 mins and tried out running at a cadence of 180 steps/min as suggested in Mark Kleanthous article in this months 220. While I tried to run at a steady pace I found that my HR went from 140 (normal rate) to 166ish (way too high) I guess my speed went up as normally that run would have been a couple of minutes slower. I also noted that my cadence went from my 'normal' rate of 150-156 to only 162-168 I couldn't get higher without feeling like I was running on the spot. This small increase in cadence puzzles me - has anyone else found this when trying to increase cadence?

I also suspect that by taking shorter strides you lean forward into the stride more and therefore land more on your fore foot?? I am also guessing (a lot of guess work in this post ) that this is this where Newtons come into the equation???

Comments

• MowfMowf Posts: 272
    More guess work:

My guess would be that this is to simulate the stress on your muscles that will be placed on them during and IM marathon. Since you will fresh from a mahusive ride, you won't be able to run using your normal gait. A shortened gait is easier on the muscles that have been knackered out by cycling. And thus you should train using the gait you plan/will be forced to race with.

It really is just a guess though. Expect this post to be shot down in short order...
  • 180 strides per minute isn't a tri specific thing, it's just what good runners recommend. It IS really hard to do at first, a bit like when you are first learning to use correct cadence on the bike.

I'm still working on it. I found a 180bpm Metronome recording on a music site that I use on an ipod to keep my run cadence up. My daughter practices by singing 'My Favourite Things' in her head... I guess that works for an 11yo girl...

And yes, it does get me up on my toes. Also, remember to take tiny steps, otherwise you'll be flying like Haile for 200m before collapsing.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    If you like running to music this site has free downloads at set bpm's (listed by them), tried a couple and seemed alright, not sure if I was running with the music though as I have almost no sense of rhythm. http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html
  • Good call jibby. There are also add-ons you can get for itunes that will analyse your music and work out bpm for you.