Home Chat General Chat

specialized transition tt bike

quite new to tri athlons doing my first h i m sunday, was really after a bit of advice with regards to upgrading my bike, i currently have a claude butler road bike ali frame carbon forks, it's ok but is a entry level bike and would really like to make the step up to buying a tt bike, haven't heard to much about the specialized transition comp but looks a good bike and is within a price bracket of £2000 which is really the top limit for me, has anybody riden one or has some advice to either upgrade to a better road bike with aero bars or go the full way and look seriously at the transition comp.........??

Comments

• LexLex Posts: 65
    Cancellara rides Specialized and thats enough for me!!

I have a Spec road bike and very happy with it, flatmate has the Spec Transition and absolutely loves it mate.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Macca rides a Spesh Transition.

Not sure how good a deal one is for £2000, what else you can get for that price.

You would need to try out bikes really. What looks a great deal on paper may not feel right to you when you ride it.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Try Felt Bikes
  • You will not be disappointed with the Specialized Transition......

It is awesome, just make sure you get the right size by getting a proper bike fit session. Its a different frame geometry too almost every other manufacturer so dont go by the size of your CB.

For the cost of the Transition, yes there are other bikes everyone can recommend but then all thats giving you is a headache trying to choose.

Buy the Transition, it looks awesome, rides awesome and is very well built....also Specialized customer service is top notch. Oh and as they are a huge company they can afford to spend loads of pennies on testing therefore what they say works ....well works.

If you are wondering what I have as a Tri bike then I can tell you I havent got a transition, although have previously owned one, but I wanted one, only thing is with me is that I didnt want to settle for anything less than the S-works....which was out of my price range. Ill not tell you what I have as that will give you a choice again.....

End of the day, Ignore every other bike that gets thrown at you, If your thinking of the transition buy the transition.... I repeat you will not be disappointed!!
  • ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    If I had £2000 Id buy..
    http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... Issue.html

I think its the best spec for that price around.

just my 2 cents

IK
  • DanteDante Posts: 22
    I've got a spesh tarmac expert and really love it (so i'm not anti-specialized as some are...). That said i wouldn't buy a transition. In my opinion they aren't particularly good value for money (unless you can pick one up in an end of season sale at 30% discount to RRP...), and you're better off going for a brand that really knows how to build tri bikes. I agree with the above poster - you can't beat Planet-X for value, performance and style - and they are British built. I'll be buying a PX when the time comes...
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    A mate recently purchased one and is happy with it.
    The only disappointing aspect is the wheels. At 2k you'd probably expect better than Aksiums. They're not bad wheels but on a TT specific bike I think you should get better. That said the rest of the spec is great.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Dante wrote:
    I've got a spesh tarmac expert and really love it (so i'm not anti-specialized as some are...). That said i wouldn't buy a transition. In my opinion they aren't particularly good value for money (unless you can pick one up in an end of season sale at 30% discount to RRP...), and you're better off going for a brand that really knows how to build tri bikes. I agree with the above poster - you can't beat Planet-X for value, performance and style - and they are British built. I'll be buying a PX when the time comes...
    Is the planet X frame any good?

I only ask because last month's 220 reviewed a carbon framed Ribble bike which came blinged up with very good components for the price. The review suggested that the frame was not great.
  • i have looked at the planet x bikes and the likes of tiger frog and to be honest they all look very good, reading some reviews in 220 and triathlon mags the felt bikes are very highly regarded, especially the felt b16.. and at 1500.00 pound seems a bargain,

does anybody ride one or has riden one??
  • Hi Woolfie,

I have a Felt B2R which is essentially the same frame as the B16.
    I've been really impressed with it. It's comfortable to ride, handles exceptionally well and the build quality is really good. I think they are good looking bikes too.

I also looked at the Transition, which I loved the look of, but for me, the Felt just fitted better and for the price i thought it was better specced.

I don't think you will go far wrong with either. Try and ride both, then see which one fits better.
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    Felt all the way.
  • Are we still talking bikes?
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    woolfie, did u get this bike??

I had a Transition Expert in my hands today....nice...!

Though I didn't like the look of the wheels
    seems I was right (http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/spec ... n-expert-1)

I'm gonna meet the LBS TT bike guy (he did a 9:40 IM on his s-works! this year) on Monday for a fitting.

would be interested to hear any more opinions on the bike.
    I will ask for different wheels - that will put the price up from 3k euro!