Home Chat General Chat

Rubbish on the bike

Hi, I need help with my bike section of the Tri. I am a really stong swimmer generally coming out of the water near the front of the field (top 10) but this has its downsides....I spend the rest of the race being overtaken and it is really quite demoralising! So much so that I think I don't try hard as I expect everyone around me to be a good cyclist so they move swiftly by and I just pull faces and try and grind out the bike leg! My problem is a complete lack of cycling background, if I try and push it my legs hurt really quicky but aerobically I am OK. I guess I need lots more miles in my legs and cycle specific strength training. I do have a turbo trainer as a Mum of two under 4 I can't get out to train in the evenings. Any tips or can we make the swim leg the longest section of a Tri that would help me too!

Comments

• jacjac Posts: 452
    In essence lots more miles is right - but the key is what you do with those miles.
    I've always aimed for three bike sessions a week. One long bike (ideally double the distance you'll be racing at..unless it's Ironman!) at an easy/steady pace to build up endurance and aerobic base. One tempo or race pace ride (like a 10 or 25m time trial) and one high intensity interval session. The latter being great for aiding your ability to be able to deal with the pain and improving top end speed. These intervals could be on the flat or hills (or turbo) and they will hurt.
    Other elements to look at would be your gear choices and cadence. If you're always grinding big gears at a lowish cadence your legs will ache and fill up with lactic acid very quickly. Find a comfortable cadence - maybe around the 90rpm mark. Change up and down to keep your cadence steady.
    I would also say that the key to a good bike split is pacing. Time trials and experience will help with this. You don't want to go out like a rocket because, as with using a big gear, you will tire quickly because of lactic acid build-up. You want good speed but you want consistent speed rather than dying off. If anything start steady and finish strongly (obviously leaving enough in the tank for the run!)
  • Thanks. Sounds like a need more focus on the training for the bike specifically - I have focused lots on general fitness i.e. getting to the end but now to improve overall I know the bike is my weakness as I am an average runner. I do keep up the cadence but the gear is so easy to do it I am still slow!I suppose this is the beauty of Tri we all have our strengths it's just really annoying (for me) that the bike is such a long part of the race. Guess I am luchy I find the swim OK.
  • Look at it this way - once you start improving on the bike you will find your PB dropping dramatically. This actually happened to me with swimming and I went from being bored of swimming to absolutely loving it. You probably need to go cycling with one or more partners too.
    The advice above is good. I have one thing to add- I saw a dramatic improvement in my cycling by sticking my commute bike in top gear and cycling it single speed all the way to work (only 4 miles) and back. At first I struggled up a few hills, but after a few weeks it became easy, then I did an extended top gear ride once a week (1 hour), on top of my normal long ride. My av. speed on my road bike went from 16mph up to 19mph! I was amazed, but turning that big gear really helped.
  • tritogetfit wrote:
    Hi, I need help with my bike section of the Tri. I am a really stong swimmer generally coming out of the water near the front of the field (top 10) but this has its downsides....I spend the rest of the race being overtaken and it is really quite demoralising! So much so that I think I don't try hard as I expect everyone around me to be a good cyclist so they move swiftly by and I just pull faces and try and grind out the bike leg! My problem is a complete lack of cycling background, if I try and push it my legs hurt really quicky but aerobically I am OK. I guess I need lots more miles in my legs and cycle specific strength training. I do have a turbo trainer as a Mum of two under 4 I can't get out to train in the evenings. Any tips or can we make the swim leg the longest section of a Tri that would help me too!
    I am in the same boat, I was 11 out the water in my wave in Hever at the weekend but had people flying past me on the bike. Is there any weight training that would help improve on the bike?

Many thanks for your help!

Tom
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    http://www.trainingbible.com/pdf/Cycling_Strength_Program.pdf

free resource from Joe Friel for a cycling specific weights program.

Ade