Home Chat General Chat

Windsor Tri Fees - excessive ?

Anybody else out there get the feeling they are being ripped off at £75 for a sprint and £80 for an OD tri ?
I think I be competing elsewhere !

Comments

• MowfMowf Posts: 272
    £80 is that how much they want?

That is a lot. But then it is one of the most iconic events on the tri calendar and will sell out very quickly. Supply and demand at work I am afraid.
  • I agree that it's expensive, their are some benefits to Windsor though..

Great course, although the road route isn't totally traffic free it is worked so you have right of way over 95% of junctions..
    the run route is really well supported.. even London didn't compare to Windor..
    You get to rub shoulders with the elites and rack within meters of them.... the elites is also why it probably costs more (prize fund).

Overall I would rate Windsor well above London.. it's not particular low key.. the whole town turns into Triathlon friendly place for the week.. don't let this put you off...

I also live locally so although I pay more for the entry I have no travel and accomocation costs.. win some... lose some...

Scotty
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    £75 for a sprint?

That takes the piss, it's completely unjustifiable in my opinion. I will be staying away.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Total rip-off if you ask me.
    220 boycott needed!
    These frickers are just getting greedy.
    Fly to spain, swim, bike then run, some paella, stay one night = £80.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    jac wrote:
    Fly to spain, swim, bike then run, some paella, stay one night = £80.
    Nice idea!
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Yes it is expensive and I won't be entering for a number of reasons, but £80 is about half the price and half the distance of an M Dot HIM. If the atmosphere is as good as the reports people write then it is one of the tri's I want to do one day.
  • That's not far off what they want for London, I would of thought the more people who enter the cheaper it would be. It's a bit of a piss take to ask that much unless you get a medal the size of your head for doing it. The thing is though the big ones are all on the list of the ones you want to do, that's why we all pay a bit more cash for the M dot isn't it?
  • Does anyone think it wont be sold out ? nope me neither. Market forces and all that.

That said it does p1ss me off and I wouldn't pay £75 for the sprint because there are so many sprints to choose from. But it's on my doorstep, it's one I've wanted to do, so I'm doing the olly and I'm very excited about it. (I can't help felling I'm being fleeced though)

The organisation had better be spot on though or there will be trouble
  • £80?! Eep!
    Market forces? Booo!

I'll do it though. If only once, it's on the To Do list.
    Better do it now before they increase it to a round £100. Who can't see that one coming?
    Racking next to the Elites as an excuse to charge more? Seriously?
  • EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    Its a brilliant triathlon. Great swim, amazing bike course, brilliant run - if you think they are taking the piss then don't do it. I suspect most of you are actually scared of the river swim and the tough bike - you all know you can go to dorney and fall asleep while doing you 900th lap of the course for half the price. £80 to test yourself on one of the toughest courses out there is a small price to pay in my opinion.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    I suspect most of you are actually scared of the river swim and the tough bike
    errrrrrrr. ok.
  • I did it last year. I'll be doing again this year.
    It's a wicked course and a great event, very well organised too.

However the £80 did make me take a sharp intake of breath. Not sure I'll enter it again with those prices.
    That said it should be done by everyone once. Just once (or twice in my obvious opinion) it's value for money.

And for the record, I have it on good authority that they make the Elites pay for their entrance too! Apparently the only one on the circuit.
  • Elites pay £85, according to the registration page.
    https://www.clubsonline.com.au/eventsre ... orgid=2106
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    ouch...that is a bit excess!! I really want to do it again, as loved it the first year, but I expect that by the time I have enough spare cash in my account to pay for it, it'll be full!! Hey ho.....
  • Isn't it true though that people will choose a couple of "big events" for me are Windsor and London, choose them as their A race, (rightly or wrongly) then make up the rest of the year with cheaper more local events ?

The races I'll be dropping are the mid priced £50 ish Dorney type. I find them soul less without the large numbers that makes the bigger events interesting.

I know £80 is steep but put it into context; a football match, gig, night out, meal for 2, carbon drink holder etc. etc.
    I follow conehead's logic, but I don't think events can just keep getting bigger and more expensive - there's a limit on the number of athletes you can get on a course and limits on the size a transition area can be (although London is pretty huge...)

I would rather do a £1 ten mile TT on local roads with no supporers than pay £80 for a race that's going to take me an hour, no matter how good the atmosphere. But hey, that's my choice.

And in context, no idea how much a football match costs, I have never been to one. If you think they're expensive, lobby your club to stop paying players ludicrous salaries! A Gig, well that's about £30 and lasts a good three hours, a night out - depends on what you're doing but duration in hours, a meal is enormously variable in budget, a carbon drink holder is about £15.

So in terms of bang for your buck, £80 per hour is pretty damn steep!!
    ...oh, ok the £80 is for the Oly distance and £75 for sprint, just checked.
    In fact, one of the other events on www.humanrace.co.uk is the Winter Ballbuster - 8mi run, 24mi bike, 8mi run - £59

Without any kayak support, costs for water testing, hire of boating lake facilities, etc etc etc, how on earth can they justify that?

I'm going to go and be miserly in a darkened room now, sorry for taking up your time.
  • I know what you mean and I'm not defending them but of the other things I listed you COULD spend £80 on all of it.

Some good news though Wiggle have knocked 10% off the carbon bottle holder

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Elite_Custom_Carbon_Bottle_Cage/5360044723/

Seriously, is it all about 'I've done this one and that one'?
    What happens when you've crossed off all the 'ones' which 'should' be on the list?
    Sod the boasting rights or kudos. I'd rather do a tri because it's a challenge, keeps me fit, etc..
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I had to laugh when 220 did the 20 Races you Must Do..or however many it was...I have done 1..the team relays & from the list that is as many as I am likely to do I think.