Home Chat General Chat

drop bars pain + pedalling habits

hi all
i have 2 irrelevant between them questions:
1): i've been trying some road bikes recently - i ride a hybrid at the moment - and the pressure i've been feeling on the palms is very big, (feels like i am standing on my palms!) to the point they get mumb and feel like somebody is pinching my veins and versves...does this go away? - it felt similar with my hybrid handles at the beggining but so severe - is it due to the whole posture, and the drop bars themselves or it means that i dont fit the bike? - i mentioned it to the shop and they just said i need padded gloves
2) why is it that so many peoiple spend so much time riding standing on their pedals? especially when they start off at a traffic light when according to this guy here it is not such a good thing either for energy economy, posture or your bike...
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/standing.html
am i a bad cyclist for rarely doing so other than to avoid bumbs on the road?

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    The pain could be due to you stretching to far and putting to much weight on your palms,try a shorter handlebar stem.
    One of the reasons people stand when setting off is that they have stopped in the wrong gear and need that extra push just to get moving.
  • It sounds very much like your set up is wrong. You should only have the lightest of touch on the bars it sounds like you are to far forward therefore putting all you weight on them. Although this won't erradicate all shoulder / neck pain it will certainly help. TBH your bike shop should know better ! although, gloves are a good investment, just not for those reasons.

The reason I get out of the saddle so much is that it helps to stretch my back. I tend to do this more, as you say pulling away from lights and climbing because when I'm on the flat I want to get as aero as poss for as long as poss.
  • LOL just read jon.e's post.
    Well you are either too near or too far away
    Experiment or better still get a fitting.
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Initially I got a lot of numbeness in my fingers whilst riding. I got some gloves and it eased it a bit. However after having my bike fitted I now found that I no longer get numb hands when riding without gloves. So bike set up is probably the best thing to look at. A friend had a problem with his grip on the drops and ended up changing the bars to some anatomical ones (his bike came with standard curved ones, anatomical ones have a flat section) and has found that more comfortable.
  • Seat position is one of the most commen resons for num/ sore hands and wrists

check the position of your seat , is it level or is the nose pointing down ? if it's pointing down you will be sliding forword therefore putting more presure on your hands . you would be suprised in the diferance a cupple of milametres makes. as for standing up it is by far the best way to get power down fast think what would have happend if Cav sat down in Paris
  • sportevesporteve Posts: 141
    considering all your above kind responses i think that it is ia good thing i did not buy yet any of the bikes i have tested...
    it just feels i do not have the knowledge, experience or right criteria to do so; plus, how much can you tell of a bike at some really bad and lumpy back streets of london's west end?
    i think a bike fitting is the best option...how does this work? are you obliged to buy a bike they recommend for you?...or do you get your 'measurements' and some suggestions and you proceed as you feel from there? also anyone know any good bike fitters they can recommend in london?
    thanks again!
  • This guy is based in Ealing.

http://www.thebikewhisperer.co.uk/bike-fitting

I would reccomend them whole heartedly, cost about £100 lasts about 2/3 hours, offers free follow up appointments, not patronising but very helpful. Done at his home. Maybe worth speaking to him before you buy (he doesn't sell bikes as far as I know).
    spartacus this sounds perfect! thank you very much!
    actually i booked an appointment spartacus, thank you very much, the guy sounds really nice and helpful - i really look forward to it!
  • Well done, I'm sure you'll find it worthwhile.

He is indeed a nice bloke, make sure you get him to explain exactly what he's doing and why, he'll also suggest training programs nutrition etc etc in fact everything bike.

Let us know how you get on.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i've heard some really good things about the bike whisperer, but let us know how they turn out for you. ideally they should be able to give you all the information you need to get any bike you own (provided it is the right size frame) set up the right way (seat height, angle, stem length etc).
    hello all, spartacus,
    i am here to update on my first session with the bike whisperer
    really nice bloke indeed and his wife really nice too! first session was just a chat about explaining my circumstances and my needs
    we decided on the price bracket and the after checking me on my bike the size which i must say were things i already new
    i look forward to the next stage as he will now have a look and come up with some suggestions on bikes - from there on, he said he was confident i wouldn't even need to test ride the bike; once we decided which one we could just get it - i guess then he will adjust and fine tune it for me
    only problem has been that i had to get to him from the west end with my bike and as do not know the area and i am not the most confident cyclist in the world i had to pop trek in a black cab so the whole thing has already costed me £65 extra!
    i shall let you know how things progress
  • £65 ouch.

Mind you I don't think I would fancy riding through the West End.

Once you get his suggestions stick em up on here, see if anyone can save you your £65