Home Chat General Chat

spin class irritations

Ok so I went along last night to my first spin class for a while, two blokes otherwise women mostly wearing lots of makeup - I can't deny that having come straight from work I hadn't taken mine of yet though. At the end of the 45 mins I'm drenched with sweat, bright red in the face, mascara smeared around eyes and hair dripping and flat. All these other women are "glowing" slightly and on the way out I overhear the following conversation:

Girl 1: I'm so hot, I must wear a vest top if we come next week

Girl 2: I've got a vest on and I'm still sweating so I don't think it will help, I guess you'll still get hot unfortunately

........... isn't that the point - am I missing something here????

Should I have just gone along and pootled at 70 rpm? aarrrghhhh!!!!!!!

Comments

• What I like about spin classes in that you are in control of how much effort you put in. I know that when I'm in one I'm not concerned about what anyone else is doing, as I'm there solely for my own gain. At the end of the session I know that I am one of the few who has to wipe their bike down and the floor around it. I also find that if I position myself at the front corner of the class then my main focus is on the Instructor and i'll only have a maximum of one other spinner adjacent to me for comparison of work rate.

I also know it's easy to berate people who aren't working as hard as you, put surely they should still be given some encouragement for getting off their arsed and doing something.

You also need to be conscious that there will be days when you aren't working as hard as usual, either due to fatigue, tapering, or off season base training, and I'm sure you don't want people bitching about how little effort you're putting in.

Again, you're there for yourself, so don't get bogged down in what anyone else is doing, it just takes your focus off your own training.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I agree that you shouldn't let it worry you. Afterall, when you're base training, you look like you are jogging along without trying.

However, I can't help but swell with rage when the ones who aren't trying look across at you with a smug grin as if you are really unfit because you're out of breath and sweating everywhere.
  • I know it shouldn't bother me but it's always irritating when other people manage to look wonderful and smug and you look completely trashed - sigh, perhaps that's just my feminine insecurity coming out
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Dont fuss about them, rather looked trashed than wonderful anyday. The reason you are goingot these classes is work your ass off, maybe theirs is to catch up with friends. I see the same thing in the gym, the groups of guys throwing around stupid-heavy weights for 3 reps and then spending 10 min talking crap and looking at themselves in the mirror, while everyone else does 10 times the work. The only people they are kidding are themselves, so dont worry.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    I saw 2 girls in the gym this evening just chatting at about 60-70rpm with what looked like zero resistance (unless of course they were just far stronger than I imagined on a bike!). Complete waste of time - one said to the other that she was going too fast and even slowed down.

There are a lot of stupid people out there - you can only laugh
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    huwd wrote:
    Complete waste of time - one said to the other that she was going too fast and even slowed down.
    True but less of a waste than walking at an average pace on a treadmill for 30 minutes. I just don't get the point of that, surely it is nicer to walk around the park.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Welcome to my world..my day is filled with talking, mostly to people who are not listening, or think they know better & I am little more than an irritating buzz in the background showing them how to effectively use the right equipment at the right level to fulfill the objectives I had to surgically remove from them..sample me 'Why have you come to the gym?' punter 'Dunno.' me 'Oh good, any objectives?', P 'What do you mean?' Me 'Well, what do you hope to get out of coming here?' P..'To get a bit fitter.' Me (in my head mostly) 'No shit Sherlock, your'e in the right place' Actually say 'What does that mean to you?' P....'Dunno..' (in my head )aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggggggggggghhghhhh.
    Anyway, I proceed to share my knowledge & write a programme for them tell them to stick with it for a month or so 2-3x per week & then come see me & we will update. They proceed to do what the heck they like, never refer to their programme & come to me 6-12 months later to ask me why they haven't improved/got fitter/lost weight etc etc.
    By evening I proceed to teach 3 spin classes per week breathlessly urging them on via RPE checks/RPM checks/%age of HRM etc & some just sit & pedal as above..to be fair I do tend to get more hard core trainers in my class..the noodlers don't like us sweaty guys...
  • I was thinking about this post last night in the spinning class that I have been going to for a while its the usual mix of people quite a good bunch at the core all working at their own pace and getting what they want out of the class, then their is the others......dont start me on them.

But then it came to me and i had a little giggle to myself

imagine if all the bikes were linked up under the floor and at any given time you would have to match both speed / gear and effort of someone else in the class that you nominated or they nominated you,
    oh what fun you could have then !

its funny what you think about when you are trying to put your mind away from the fact that you legs are burning and you are knacked whilst exercising, or is it just me ?
  • I did a spin class at a different venue recently, and at the end of the class the instructor went around and summarised how far each person had ridden, and how amny calories they had burned. It was quite interesting to see the difference, anywhere between 6 (yes 6) and 18 miles. No hiding then.
    Tempting..very tempting..except I don't have the technology..
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Now that really is a good idea.

If only it was possible for all gym equipment to scream out your stats when youve finished, I'm sure that would soon put the message across!
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    My spin instructor is still punishing me for the lifelong scar I put on his leg last year when he stepped into my bike... He brakes everyone elses front wheel with his trainer for about 10 seconds and I think I got a good minute and a half at least last week. Having been away from spin while the daylight hours were good enough to be outside cycling there are some new caked in makeup types who evidently think he and I are both mental as we bitch at each other?! Still, it all adds to the training right?!
    Speaking personally...if you touch some one elses bike resistance whilst teaching you deserve every lifelong scar you get! So dodgy, so contraindicated, so open to lawsuits, I shudder to think...
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    On our spin sessions we have the occassional 'girly' can't go too fast as it will a. interrupt my conversation and b. make me all sweaty, they tend not to last long as Steve our guru has very polite but firm way of telling them to shut up. Then there are the ones like me who go all out and sweat pints - I am the lunatic that then then hops off straight onto a treadmill. I must say the majority do put in an effort and there are sweaty bodies galore.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    @Tri's post...

The problem with that is it potentially "humiliates" some so they don;t return; its maybe fine in a happily competitive environment, but for somebody totally new to spinning no matter how noble their intentions, it could be a disasterous idea if at the other end of the class is lance armstrong having a bit of a goggle for the afternoon and popping in...

didds
    I always treat beginners differently to the show up & chatter crew, beginners I need to become regulars so my class survives & I continue to get paid...chatterers may drive away others & make my class less populated, hence I do not need.
  • Xyzee_ukXyzee_uk Posts: 100
    I may be going against the grain here but I think if you're getting off your arse and going to the gym/Spinning/Walking whatever it's one step further on than sitting on your arse in front of the goggle box.

Anyone who does any exercise of any type - Good on ya - You're saving the NHS millions!

(The sound of soap box being put away...)
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Xyzee_UK - contrite and humbled - yes you are right and a sentiment I have oft mooted myself - still annoying though - but then I often do my own thing anyway but loosley based on the session, only a bit harder. So I suppose I could be accused of similarly not abiding with the tone of the session like the 'musn't go too hard as I'll sweat' types
    True...but they are still irritating!
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I may be going against the grain here but I think if you're getting off your arse and going to the gym/Spinning/Walking whatever it's one step further on than sitting on your arse in front of the goggle box. Anyone who does any exercise of any type - Good on ya - You're saving the NHS millions!

Time for controversy...

Whilst I am all for people getting off their arses, I dont think it is anything to be particulalry proud of. What sort of pants world is it we live in when people are congratulated just for not doing sod all, and eating crap? If you want to do excercise, not sit on your arse, good for you - it's what you bloody well should be doing anyway.