Home Chat General Chat

Lance Armstrong to race Hawaii 2010

Just read that as part of his sponsorship deal with Radioshack, Lance Armstrong is to race in Hawaii next year. According to his coach, he won't be there just to win his age group either!

Comments

• bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Could well win it too.

After all he is an ex world champion triathlete
  • 2011 not 2010
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Could well win it too.

After all he is an ex world champion triathlete
    Highly unlikely he'll win it Dave Scott even said he's got no chance - yes he has a 2.30ish best for a marathon but Alexander will do a 2.40 i bet in Kona this year after a 3.8k swim and 112m bike.

Armstrong has never been a world champion in triathlon.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Just read the story - I bet he could tear the competition on the bike leg, considering hes an ex tri-er too there should be some very worried competition!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Wasn't Lance a US junior champ? He'll be competitive, I'm sure.
  • chischis Posts: 94
    Whatever ANYONE says about his past triathlon history, with his marathon time and his totally awesome bike capability - anybody in their right mind has to admit that this is really "one to watch". I am biassed as I just think Armstrong is brill but I think he will be up there with the best and I just can't wait to see what happens - if it actually comes to fruition!!
  • Armstrong to win.

Wouldn't it be amazing if he did
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Apologies for my mistake.

Lance was not a Triathlon World champion but a national champion.

But I still think he could win Hawaii. Even at 40 years old.

Remember Dave Scotts amazing come back at hawaii back in 1994 at the age of 40 years old, managed 2nd place with a fantastic 8 hours 24 mins but only 4 mins behind winner Greg Welch
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    I doubt he'll be competing for fun.

He'll be entering to win it for sure.
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    I think this is dead interesting. He has got all the tools, for sure. A background in triathlon. A sub 2:40 Marathon PB and the best bike credentials of anybody in triathlon history. I doubt he can win - he just hasnt had the time to build up the ability run a fast marathon off the bike. It will cause a massive buzz though. And its not inconceivable that he could be out in the lead following the bike leg... I think the coverage issue that is being debated in another thread might be addressed if that happened!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Didn't this come round last year? The year before? Is it like the lottery/e mail scams?
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Mowf wrote:
    I think the coverage issue that is being debated in another thread might be addressed if that happened!
    I am sure youre correct!
    Britspin wrote:
    Didn't this come round last year? The year before? Is it like the lottery/e mail scams?
    I think this one is sure fire, after the tour this year lance mentioned it in the press conference that he wanted to do an ironman and the report came from his trainer