Home Chat General Chat

Richmond Park - a Gravel Track!

Why would they transform Richmond Park roads into a gravel track??!

Comments

• didn't see many (actually only 1) cyclist cycling on it tonight as i drove home from work!
  • Say that again... the road surface is going to become a gravel track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Is this true or just a proposal?
  • Well, for the past two days half of the roads have already been covered with gravel and it does not look like they are going to do anything with it, e.g. using it as a base layer for e permanent road surface. The rain and car traffic has now created tracks in the gravel ... what's the purpose? It really makes it difficult and most annoying riding through the park now!
  • LexLex Posts: 65
    I was out on it Sunday morning for the first time in a few weeks and yes there is a layer of gravel on half the lap. You now have two smooth tracks where the cars have worn it away but its still very dicey on the bike.

Does anyone know what the point is? Im assuming its to slow cars??!!
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Ive just been reading a roadcyclinguk forum on this and someone today wrote this an hour ago:

"Ok guys n gals - by the weekend the road surface should be fine again. I have just spoken to Richmond Park management who informed me that the road surfacing company is due to do a second sweep this week.
    Basically their version of road improvement was to drop a sh1tload of gravel, wait for cars to push it into the road, then do a sweep to remove excess gravel. The first sweep has been done but was obviously not up to it so a second sweep is due to take place this week.
    Quite how anyone can think that this procedure will actually improve the roads is not clear."

Hopefully they do sort it out...stat!
  • LexLex Posts: 65
    Cheers Bman, good to know it wont resemble the bottom of a fish tank too much longer!