Home Chat General Chat

Anyone changed the battery on a Garmin 50?

Hiya,

Just went to my local watch shop and they want £17!! to change the battery. (one of the joys of working in london!)

Anyone done it....

Got the back off then couldn't work out how to get the battery out!

Cheers,

Will.

Comments

• iadamaiadama Posts: 60
    I've been round two watch repair places today trying to get the battery in mine changed - one told me over the phone that they could do it, and got down there an hour later to be told they'd got no batteries as the branch was closing. Went elsewhere to be told they didn't have the tools to get the back off - a simple screwdriver!

Anyway, going to try somewhere else tomorrow, and if that fails I'll do it myself. There's some info and pictures here: http://gnjmch.com/public/tips/GarminF50.Battery.html
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    That is spot on cheers.

2 batteries from argos for £3.49...sorted.
  • jasejase Posts: 47
    Garmin must send out a signal to all Garmin 50's at this time of year cus my battery has just run down too
    Great set o instructions found at the perfect time - thanks
    I tried two more watch repairers at the weekend - Timpson's told me that they could only do it if they had the HRM band as well (I was tempted to argue that that was absolute crap but decided that if that's what he thought then I didn't really want him tinkering with my watch). The other one told me that if they opened it there was an 80% chance it wouldn't turn on with a new battery in.

Needless to say I then went and bought some small screwdrivers, tweezers etc and will be doing the job myself later today!
    Just done it, and seems to have worked fine. Took 20 minutes due to it being very fiddly to replace the clasp with the plastic underneath, made worse for me by having sausage fingers.
  • bunongbunong Posts: 49
    I changed my battery the other week.

One small problem - I've a spring left over I can't see where it goes but the watch works without it - Has anyone seen where it goes??? If so please help as I guess my warrenty is gone without it.

Cheers,
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Does anyone else have problems with their Garmin 50- in that it's crap...my battery decided it didn't want to work after about 2 months, normally batteries in watches go on for ever!!! Is this a general fault? :roll:
    joolzd - the advice I've read is to store the watch away from your PC and also it's HRM, so it's not permanently being connected to.
  • willtriwilltri Posts: 436
    Mine lasted about two months - but then i did use it to wrap around the hrm - maybe i won't do that anymore!!
    Good advise. Makes sense
    I'd put the short battery life down to it sitting in a store room at the shop for a long time before I bought it - the foot pod battery had been dead when I got it.

Still can;t help wishing I;d bought the 405 though especially seeing as it has plumitted in price
  • I've changed the battery more than once and although fiddly its not too difficult. The spring goes between the battery and the back plate of the watch and is what seems to do the link for the sounds (alarm etc).

Yes the spring plate is fiddly to get in but I found by pushing it towards the battery it unclipped and reclipped fairly easily.

Hope this helps.

By the way my HRM belt has stopped working so if anyone has a spare or a working one without a watch let me know how much you want for it?
  • This might be toooooooo obvious, but did you try changing the battery on the HR monitor?
    Words of Warning

Changed the battery a few weeks back and all was going well.
    Did a 10k last week and the watch decided to reset itself half way through - very very annoying
    I assume the battery hasblt been seated correctly of one of the contacts is loose - must investigate

Still managed a pb though so that was good