Home Chat General Chat

Is Lance good at everything?

Just been readin the post about Lance Armstrong doing Hawaii in a couple fo years and how he can run a marathon in a stupidly fast time, can cycle really well (obviously) and used to be a Tri champion.

Got to thinking - he is also great at recovering from life threatening illnesses, runs successful companies, does loads for charity, dates beautiful women and will no doubt be a great team manager for Radio Shack.

Now I think Lance is fantastic - one of my heros...but is there anything we think he is actually really BAD at??
Making cheese sandwiches?
Looking stylish in baggie clothing?
Being tactful in Interviews?

Any ideas?

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    well he his not very diplomatic when he speaks his mind.

Long term relationships seem to appear low on his priorities.

He does appear to be good at being self centred.

Does not seem to be gracious in defeat.
  • He ran just inside 3 hours for a marathon and i believe won a junior Championship in the states at Triathlon. If he can break 9 hours on Hawaii i'll be impressed.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Californiakid wrote:
    He ran just inside 3 hours for a marathon and i believe won a junior Championship in the states at Triathlon. If he can break 9 hours on Hawaii i'll be impressed.
    2007 New York Marathon: 02:46:43
    2008 Boston Marathon: 02:50:58.

He was the US National Sprint Champion in 1989 and 1990 (Aged 18, 19 respectively). He turned Pro at 16.

Oh, and I think he did quite well at the Tour de France.

I'm impressed already.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Absolute legend - people can be quite critical of his success but you couldn't ever claim he's backed down from a challenge.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Not good at humility, being human, accepting criticism, not overly good at defending his 'non doping' stance with evidence (ask Paul Kimmage), truthfulness I could go on...
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Got the best lines in the film Dodge Ball as well
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Is anyone gracious in defeat? I hate getting beat, so I understand his why for being the way he is.

Anyway, I think he'd be crap at cutting a loaf of soreen and then spreading opious amounts of butter on it. Only us uber unfit athletes are good that
  • jasejase Posts: 47
    Dodgeball.........one of the best put down quotes ever;

"Quit? You know, once I was thinking about quitting when I was diagnosed with brain, lung and testicular cancer, all at the same time. But with the love and support of my friends and family, I got back on the bike and I won the Tour de France five times in a row. But I'm sure you have a good reason to quit"

Love it
  • Terribly sorry for hurting anyone's feeling's, i just knew that a stupidly fast time aint 2.46 for a marathon as in the original post, especially when the over 60 year old World best for a marathon is 2.36!
    As far as impressing me (at Triathlon) i meant breaking 9 hours at the Hawaii Ironman not the winning the TDF.
    I'd be impressed if Mike Tyson broke 2.10 for an OD.
  • agent_tiagent_ti Posts: 306
    If he is going to challenge at Kona he is going to have to seriously improve his running. If he can run 2.45 fresh in good conditions, Crowie nearly ran that this year at Kona, and the conditions were especially hot. To be honest, I can't see him challenging the top guys at IM, though I'm sure he will do well at AG level as his bike will be right up there.

But as ever with him, you can never write him off, if he wants something, he generally tends to get it (ignoring any Spaniards getting in the way!)
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    He will be very lucky to finish inside the top 80 in Kona...... So what if he can run a 2:46 marathon.....

He wont be running that off the bike..... His bike split wont be as good as everyone makes out either.... Yes it will be up there with the pro's and yes he may get close to the course record but if he does that he definately wont be doing a 3 hour marathon.

However he will be up there with the top age groupers.

Oh and by the way he is one of my hero's and someone I use during my NLP sessions and visualisation techniques......