Home Chat General Chat

My first Ironman!!

Having done triathlon for 3 seasons now (mainly Olympic and New Forest Middle this year), I've taken the plunge and entered Ironman Switzerland 2010.

All flights and accomodation are booked, new Felt B2R just landed on my doorstep (always wanted one....woohoo) and I'm seriously looking forward to it. I'm currently taking a month off training (another week left and seriously itching to get out), as it's been a long season for me, what with a London to Paris bike ride and a solo, unassisted JOGLE in August. I picked up a nasty cough and just shaking the remnants of it.

I always said I wouldn't do a full Ironman but half way through my JOGLE something changed and the Mdot was calling my name!!

So thats how I've arrived. My plan is simply to finish within the timescale, nothing more than that. My swim is fine, should be about 1 hour 5 mins, my bike should also be fine, 7 hours 30 minutes maximum but my real achilles heel is my running. I'm slow and I hate it!

My training plan starts mid December (for a July 25 race) and I'm going to be following the 'Ironfit' Intermediate plan. I've always preferred training alone and being a new dad, I have to grab my training moments when I can, not when it suits someone to meet up, so clubs are out!!

I'm currently reading both 'Ironfit' and 'Going Long', so am picking up plenty of useful info.

So the big question for all you experienced Ironmen (and women) out there: Tips please for my first Ironman, from the simple to the obscure.

What would you have done differently with your first Ironman?

Clothing - Go for a full change and be completley comfortable, or get a very good tri suit?

Fire away and thanks in advance!!!!

Comments

• jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Not done a long distance yet, but planning on doing a middle next year. One of the best ways to get a load of tips is to book on Conehead's long distance rookie day - http://bcttt.com/training/ . I did Rookie 1 this year and was great, so I'm booked on the long distance one next year.
  • If you need a copy of the book, just ask. most of us have a copy propping up a leg of the coffee table, I'm sure we can live with a wobbly table for a while.
  • Good luck on your Ironman! I did my first M dot this year and loved it! Im a plodder at all three disciplines and on the day hit the wall about 13 miles into the run. The main thing was I finished! It was an amazing day and such an amazing feeling at the end. My advice is plain and simple. Keep to your training plan as much as you can, if you get injured dont panic and then over train. Never underestimate the value of your rest days. But most of all my advice would be to go out there and enjoy it. Absorb as much of the atmosphere as you can and enjoy the day, believe it or not it goes pretty quickly! When you have finished the race dont over analsye just sit back back and think "yes! I am an Ironman!"
  • What the f*** is JOGLE?
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    Sorry, John O'groats to Lands End - bike ride!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    wyno70 wrote:
    orry, John O'groats to Lands End - bike ride!
    Its amazing how much I still have to learn... I saw LEJOG on a thread a week or so ago. I thought it was some French endurance run. Seriously I did.

By the way, IMCH will be my first Ironman (after 3 sprints and an OD this year), so let us know how you get on with training. I've delved into BeIronFit and putting a plan together. Definitely think about getting yourself on Coneheads LD training day. I did a rookie one this year and was well worth it. And if you want to ramp up your 'Fear' levels, then get his book... you won't be lining his pocket as all proceeds go to charity I believe.
    Yep, LEJOG one way (south to north) and JOGLE the other (North to South).

LEJOG is supposedly the 'easy' way as you have the prevailing winds behind you, hence me doing it the other way! To be honest I only had a head wind for 2 days and just thought what the hell, the wind will blow whichever way it wants to!

An excellent experience, I enjoyed (almost) every minute!
  • EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    i did a very similiar thing this year. I took on LAnzarote IM after a season of OD's and sprints. I will list what i thought helped me run a great race.

1. BIKE BIKE BIKE BIKE BIKE BIKE. Your bike section will take up the majority of you r ironamn. spend as mucj time as you can on the bike you will use in the race. Ididn't bother with a training bike i spent all my time on my tri bike. if you are going to sit on your tri bars for 5-7 hours then practise sitting on your tri bars. I finished my bike leg without any problems beacuse i has spent so many hours on my tri bike.

2. NUTRITION. Practise with what they will provide in the race. Every time i went on a long bike i used the nuttrtion i would use in the race. by race time eating the right amount and drinking the right amount was second nature.

3. I used a 2 piece tri suit that was really really comfy. never had that nasty feeling that a one piece gives me.

4. do not leave any decisions till the last minute. Have everything planned and decided, even down to what socks you will wear for the bike and the run. Pre race your mind is so scrambled with fear and doubt that you must be sure everythihg else is second nature.

5. Personally i used iron fit as a guide. it is as importnat to listen to your body. you will have low weeks when you feel tired and un motivated - give yourself a break.

6. DO NOT listen to mark klaethopopdolis(can't remember his name) he writes for 220 and in my opinion writes a load of nonsense. He made out that if you did IM lanzarote on anything but a road bike and a normal helmet you would literally explode and die. I did it on a tri bike with deep section wheels and a aero helmet and had no problems what so ever. My point i think being do whatever makes you feel comfortable not what people tell you you SHOULD do.

7. i had 2 young kids and a pregnant wife during training and the ironman. Buy them lots of presents and don't think yo are the only one having a hard time. they suffer for your sport.

8. Enjoy every second of the race and realise that although ironman and its hard till just a long triathlon.
    Edstg - Thank you very much, thats exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. Good to know that you are in the same (family) situation, so, getting lots of pressies in looks like the order of the day.

As I understand it, IMCH this year used 'powerbar' products, which I haven't used before, so looking to fill myself up with them soon.

All really good info, thanks a lot.
  • han382han382 Posts: 80
    Some great advice there for us first timers-especially the looking after the family, I'd not factored that one in yet!

I've just paid for my my first IM-Austria 2010. What were you guys paying for IMCH? I thought IM Austria was about EUR300, but got a guaranteed place through Nirvana and the place cost EUR450-I'm a little miffed as I paid the deposit for it before Austria opened and no-one told me there'd be a premium for the guaranteed place. If this "premium" is EUR20-30 than not the end of the world-but if it's EUR150 like I suspect then I'll be more than "a little miffed".

First 100mile bike ride in 2 weeks in Canterbury-bring on THE FEAR!!
  • HarriHarri Posts: 40
    Hi there

I did my first IM this year, IM Canada and i am also intending to do IM Switzerland same as you next year.

My advice is definitely do a half 6 weeks or so beforehand. I did Rapperswil this year, which was amazing and really set me up for the full distance in Canada. I am doing it again this year as it's exactly 6 weeks before IM Switzerland.

Do tons of bike training, it will take up most of your day believe me and it's the toughest part of the race by far.

Have a back up nutrition plan, even if you've practised it lots before, something can go wrong on the day and you might easily find you are unable to force down the stuff you've been training with. Try and have some different types of food available in your special needs, you will probably require a different taste in your mouth by mile 80 of the bike leg. Eat as much as you feel able to on the bike, it would serve you in good stead for the run when it's much harder to follow a nutrition plan other than drinking what you can stomach.

Don't let the mass swim panic you. IMC had over 2600 starters this year and i was nearly overwhelmed with fear on the start line then the gun went off and before i knew it i was doing what i'd trained for - swimming!

Have some ibruprofen on you on the bike and on the run. I had been suffering with quite a serious knee injury all season and when i got off the bike i could barely stand up having not bothered to bring any with me on the bike. Running is my stength and i thought, well that's it then, my race is over. However, i iced my knee, took some pain killers and hobbled for a mile then they started to work and i ran the entire marathon without too much fuss. Taking my back up supply of painkillers from my special needs back at the turn around point. Total life saver.

You'll have a blast, IM distance is the most fun and i'm totally addicted now.

Harriet.
  • han382han382 Posts: 80
    Thanks for the advice. Conehead, think you're right with the costs-it looks like a standard entry place was EUR400, so the extra EUR50 is worth it as I now have a place.

I like the idea of a 70.3-and the Marshman this year is on May16 (IM Austria 4th July) so think I'll be entering this one. I also did a long distance training day this year with some joker-which is actually why I'm doing a full IM rather than a 70.3 this year. Highly recomend the day! !

Keep the good advice coming though-looks like there's alot of first timers for IM in 2010 on the forum (maybe why we're seeing adverts for gravestones (?!?!)).
  • i posted this elsewhere, but go no joy...does anybody know of any insurance products avail in the event of cancellation???

ta
  • 1. BIKE BIKE BIKE BIKE BIKE BIKE. Your bike section will take up the majority of you r ironamn. spend as mucj time as you can on the bike you will use in the race. Ididn't bother with a training bike i spent all my time on my tri bike. if you are going to sit on your tri bars for 5-7 hours then practise sitting on your tri bars. I finished my bike leg without any problems beacuse i has spent so many hours on my tri bike.

2. NUTRITION. Practise with what they will provide in the race. Every time i went on a long bike i used the nuttrtion i would use in the race. by race time eating the right amount and drinking the right amount was second nature.

3. I used a 2 piece tri suit that was really really comfy. never had that nasty feeling that a one piece gives me.

4. do not leave any decisions till the last minute. Have everything planned and decided, even down to what socks you will wear for the bike and the run. Pre race your mind is so scrambled with fear and doubt that you must be sure everythihg else is second nature.

5. Personally i used iron fit as a guide. it is as importnat to listen to your body. you will have low weeks when you feel tired and un motivated - give yourself a break.

7. i had 2 young kids and a pregnant wife during training and the ironman. Buy them lots of presents and don't think yo are the only one having a hard time. they suffer for your sport.

8. Enjoy every second of the race and realise that although ironman and its hard till just a long triathlon.
    Love all of that advise. I'm doing IMUK 2010, starting training 2nd November. Bring it on!!