Home Chat General Chat

Club Kit

Hi all

I am a very part time triathlete and have managed a grand total of 4 sprints in 2 years (Bath and Highworth) at extremely average pace.

I joined my local tri Club 2 years ago (BADTri) and go to swimming sessions weekly and the occasional bike ride (hanging off the back of the slow group usually) and enjoy the club atmosphere and have always liked being part of a club/team (I'm a typical ex-sunday league footballer).

So to finally get to the point - my trisuit has had its day and i need a new one. The club does various bits of (good looking) kit, including a trisuit, at reasonable prices, but my fear is that if I turn upto an event (and training) in full on club colours, and perform at my usual average level, that people are going to think I'm a right berk and an all-the-gear-no-idea triathlete (when in fact i have no gear). This would be my only trisuit, and would be worn for all events and training sessions (because i am a pikey).

So the question should I go for the club kit and look a wally when i get passed by all and sundry and the bike and run (which happens a lot as I'm an above av swimmer) or hide amongst the masses in a "standard" trisuit.

Ta

Comments

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Wear your club kit with pride!
  • As Flavadave said, club kit with pride. All the kit, just unfit!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    what wrong with "all the gear - no idea", thats what I've been doing for the past year. I might look that part at times, but thats as far as it goes.

Get the tr-suit and go for it!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    wear the club kit with pride! i've met quite a few BADtri-ers over the last year at a few events (bath and highworth among them) and they've all seemed friendly, not-po-faced types, who are there to enjoy the event the best they can.
  • Club colours.

If being "good" was criteria for joining a Tri club, they would lose half their membership.

Unfortunatley I can't comment on what people think about when they overtake other Triathletes, but when that glorious day finally arrives I seriously doubt I'll be too concerned about what they are wearing
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Wear your club kit!

You'll also get people recognising the colours and shouting for you individually, which is a good boost, no matter how slow you're feeling.
  • Club kit!
    The support you get from other members and their supporters during a race makes it all worth it.
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    Linds ,

Just remember 1 thing when you get your nice new kit .

You are in a small minority in this country of people who get off their fat lazy a*@ses and participates in some excercise .

You could be 1 of the lard arse majority who preffer sitting watching x factor and other so called entertainment (this is my personal view of x factor I know lots of people think its great)

P
  • If your a club member then wear it. it goes without saying.

I'm gonna get full BCTTT kit and I'm crap!!! Sink like a brick, might as well bike backwards for all the forward speed I have and run like a drunk John Cleese. Even the mighty Conehead can't argue with me on any of that .

Go for it. Your part of something much more important that times or placings at events. Who cares if you take 2 hours to run 10km...... no one. everyone gets a clap at the finish - this time they'll just be shouting out your club name or your name.

Well done.
  • +1 for the club kit - and it might even motivate you a bit as well when you're hitting the wall (don't want to let the side down). Mind you, I'm old enough to remember when the usual tri uniform was a short little vest and a pair of budgie smugglers...