Home Chat Race Chat

*Ironman Austria 2010!?

I've decided to take the plunge and enter my first ironman - Ironman Austria in July 2010!!

I was just wondering if anyone out there is planning on doing this race as well?

Also does anybody know how quickly this race fills up? (registration opens at the beginning of next month)

As this will be my first IM so i'd be quite keen to hear how others will be progressing with their training etc..

Does anybody have any advice on the bike course as I've heard some different opinions of how challenging the hills are!?

Any and all advice very much appreciated![;)]

Comments

• bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    You need to enter ironman Austria as soon as registration opens.

This years race filled up in less than 12 hours from opening.
  • jimajima Posts: 2
    I'm going to do Austria next year as my first (and probably only) Ironman. Choosing Austria as it is one of the easier courses, reasonable climate and a fresh water swim. Visited the area last summer and the region is stunning particularly the lakes. Fingers crossed will be able to register without a problem although those who did the St Polten 70.3, this year's Ironamn entrants and people who actually register in person will get priority.

Best of luck with the entry[:)]

• hi. im doing it this year. i will do a report for you after.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Is the entry fee for this race still 400 euros???!!!!! Coz if it is, thats ridiculous!!

I'd rather do Quelle Challenge Roth, same crowds, same (if not better) atmosphere and cheaper. Only one thing is its not an "Ironman", it used to be part of the company until they parted a few years ago. Same distance, 3.8,180,42.2, but no Mdot.......

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Did it in 2006,hope to do it again in 2010,sod the entry fee,I know its expensive,but it will part of my holiday.Yes it is extortionate but if we want something we will pay the price.To register you need to be logging on the moment the registration opens,if not before,it fils up in hours,I would imagine that the number of available places for online entries will be limited,for the following reasons,competitors in the 70.3 get the chance to enter a month before online entries,also,competitors in the 2009 race also get priority,and although I am not to sure I believe those that marshalled at he race may also get priority.So it will have to be fingers on buttons the second entries open.It is a great course,fast and friendly,hence the popularity.If you are unsuccessful,try IMCH,not as fast,but still most excellent.
  • IronABSIronABS Posts: 66
    I'm also looking to step up to my first Ironman next year, and my theory is if you're going to put yourself through the pain of an Ironman you may as well do it somewhere nice. Now the official word on the location of the Austrian IM is that its the "copacobana of the Alps" & "one of the most beautiful places on earth". IMUK seems to have found a home in Bolton for the next few years...nuff said!![image]http://forum.220magazine.com/micons/m15.gif[/image]

From what i've read on this forum and others the European IM's open up for entries for the next year the day after the current race whereas with IMUK you can only "register your interest" and have to wai a couple of months before you can officially enter. Not sure if that right...

Personally, i'm going to apply for IM France which for 2009 is on 28th June so entries for next year should open on 29th

Good Luck with your entry....
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    jon.E wrote:

If you are unsuccessful,try IMCH,not as fast,but still most excellent.

Ironman Conehead? On the secret volcanic island? Wow![;)]
    I could make a stupid comment regading that!!!!!
  • I'm making my IM debut at Austria 2010 too. I managed to get my entry through Nirvana travel. Apparently they had 100 slots. Not sure if they still have any left. The deal is that you have to buy at least accommodation with them to qualify for one of their allocated entries. Sounds fine to me. It's enough to prepare mentally and physically so I welcome the prospect of leaving tour organisation including transfer to start etc to someone else.
    Would love to hear thoughts especially on swim start from any IM Austria finishers.
    Swim start is the usual melée the real thrashing happens at the end when the swim goes into the lendcanal.The water churns up the silt from the river flow and water visibility goes to virtually nil.Make a note of a sighting point nest the entry to the canal early morning sunlight could make sighting difficult from the turn. Buoys.
  • han382han382 Posts: 80
    I've jus got my lace paid for through Nirvana and notice the package prices ae up on the website. It all looks pretty expensive to me-but I suppose no pain no gain and all that!
    What is everyones plans in regards to how long to stay out there-I was planing to take the family and stay for a bit as a family holiday-but that pla could hit a stubling block once the other half sees the costs!

Is tere anyone who went out this year wit any words of wisdom-when did you go out there? I'm currently planing to arrive on Thursday, but ca you get away with getting there on Friday? Also any hints on the course itself would be awesome-base training is going well, but still 7 months to go.
    Shouldn't be a problem arriving Friday,that's when I hope to arrive,go straight to registration to pick up my stash,find the hotel and make sure the bike doesn't resemble a jigsaw after the baggage handlers have tested the case to destruction.So if something is wrong I can get it sorted on Sat morning,there is a bike maintenance tent at the expo and two good cycle stores in Klag itself.
    The course shouldn't require any specific training,couple of minor climbs on the bike and the run is almost pancake flat.
    Heat was a problem in 2006 for me,and I doubt if things will have changed.