Home Chat General Chat

Powermeters

I have recently been contemplating breaking the bank 2-3k for a time trial bike. This was going to be a nice present for attempting to do the 2010 UK Ironman (which will be my first). However after reading an article from Joe Friel he has suggested using a powermeter to improve training efficiency and achieving the results from the bike through more effective training adaptation and pace control. He continued to suggest that a use of a powermeter in his opinion will improve any standard of triathlete/cyclist more than purchasing an ultra aero or light race bike.

This has got me thinking that rather than splashing out a new shiny bike to ride on it maybe more sensible and cheaper to purchase a power meter.

However I have a few issues firstly ive been trying to search for a powermeter that will give me accurate data during my ride and will download onto my computer. However there seems so many products around that I simply am unsure as to what I should be looking to buy for my needs and how much it is going to cost.

Anyone who has got any thoughts on a powermeter that would suit my needs it would be a great help. If you could give me an idea about product and cost, and your experiences of using it.

Comments

• I know bugger all about powermeters but I know they cost a bomb.

Hussler is the man who can, I'm sure, point you in the right direction.

I'd be interested in the reply too.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    You could go for a turbo trainer with a power meter, I think they need to be calibrated but I'm sure it would cost a hell of a lot less than a power meter on the bike itself.
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Power meters are very expensive but they can be rented monthly from cyclepowermeters.

http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/

A good book which gives an in depth guide to what it's all about

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-Racing ... 1931382794

Power meter training takes a bit of understanding and is only really beneficial once you know how to interpret all the data, hence the book and also a link to WKO+ analysis software

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/wko-deskt ... files.aspx

Some turbo trainers like the Tacx Flow come with built in power info but they are not particularly accurate to actual power when compared to a power meter ( as posted in some current thread on this forum)

IMO It depends what level you are at with your training as to wether a power meter would be beneficial, compared to the cost of buying a power meter.
    If you have just started training then you could improve loads without a power meter by just following a structured training plan at no cost if using a free online training program.
    If you have been training a while and reached a plateau then a powermeter would take your training to another level.
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    what about the advantegr in pacing, say for an IM dsit. Tri?
    I have read that (Joe Friel) they really help you not to start out to fast etc...and to take it easy on the hills.

Anyone have experience with the Polar power meter?? - it's cheaper and seems to work.
    It uses a system of measuring tension on the chain and chain speed to work out power.