Home Chat General Chat

best purchases for under a tenner?

I won't be buying my triathlon pals new wheels this christmas..but would like to buy something cheap that makes a genuine difference. Lace-locks is my first instinct..can anyone else suggest great little buys for under £10 that they've found to be an indispensible piece of kit?

Comments

• I wouldn't grumble if a tube of Nuun found its way into my xmas stocking!!
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    +1 for the nuun! not only is it brilliant for long-distance racing, it's also amazing for a hangover! Ideal around Xmas, eh.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    what about a hand ful of gels or some anti fog solution?
  • doogledoogle Posts: 58
    picked up an ironman bento box (top tuble food box) for £8 brand new on ebay. nearly £15 anywhere else.

Aldi tri suit for £9.99, running socks £2.99

how about a bike computer - from about a fiver if you shop around, don't listen to the mags that say you have to spend £50
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Number belt? Swim cap? Maybe something mildly amusing like 'Crotchguard', DZ Nuts, or Udderly Smooth. Inner tube (you can never have too many)...

Hey, these are all great things to put on my xmas list!
  • han382han382 Posts: 80
    I'm hoping my wife gets me some triathlon pasta-but imagine I'll be buying it for myself though!

http://www.foska.com/pasta/pasta-di-triathlon.html
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    +1 racebelt
    +1 elastic laces (xtenses would be my preference)
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    Some Mule Bars - chocolate and fig seem suitably christmassy.
    Ade
  • Bodyglide
    Safety pins
    Swim cap
    Nuun
    SIS gels
    Race belt
    Inner tubes
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    apart from what has been mentioned so far...gotta be a roll of electrical tape to help put all those pesky stickers on and easily get off the shiny bike ...(sill one of the simplist and most useful tips i received this year)
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    Are Aldi's doing their tri-suits again? I didn;t see them this year.
  • How about "How triathlon ruined my life" !!!
  • littlelegs wrote:
    How about "How triathlon ruined my life" !!!
    I'll second that
  • You've got all wrong the best thing you can get is, a bottle of wine and some flowers for the wife when you tell her you've just bought a new road bike!!!!
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Love that reply Nick!!! haha

tub of Nuun is prob the best thing ever for under a tenner....

regarding elastic laces.... go to millets or some other outdoor shop and buy the thin bungee cord they sell for £1.99 for 10m then make your own laces from that... so much cheaper than the lock laces you buy and its exactly the same stuff! Thats what I use anyway.

Valve extensions are also a good investment under a tenner, only if your friends run deep rims though.... as i found out at a recent event that if you get a puncture and you cant use the extender on your punctured tyre your race is over!
  • 3 issues of the 'other' tri mag for £1 was pretty good this summer.
  • some cracking suggestions here..thanks all