Home Chat General Chat

New wheels for bike - help!

Ok so rear wheel is broken and needs replacing. Thought I would use this as an opportunity to upgrade the standard wheels that came with my bike. Budget isn't much - could stretch to £300. Needs to be all rounders - for training and racing.

Any recommendations? I can read wheel descriptions all day long as there are so many but tried and tested reviews from actual people would make me feel more confident to purchase as have no idea.

Thanks

Comments

• wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    I've got Fulcrum 3's on my road bike, love them to bits. Not sure you'll get them for £300 but may do if you shop around. Fulcrum 5's should certainly come within your budget!
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Hand built Mavic open Pro's.... Without doubt the best training wheels going... and at around the £220 mark you have spare cash to buy some descent tyress such as Continental GP4000's.

These wheels are far better than any off the peg robot built wheels:) I used to have these until I got sponsorship from Fast Forward for my wheels.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I have Easton EA70's, got them off a friend - roll nicely - hand assembled I believe. Can't compare to anything else I'm afraid but seem to get good reviews
  • Thanks for recommendations - I was looking at Fulcrums but might have a look into Mavic Open Pro's.

I'm sure anything is going to be better than the ones that came with my bike.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    if you do go for Fulcrums then don't go any lower than Fulcrum 3's.

I've got Fulcrum 5's and while they are nice and pretty, there are not the best. Good training wheels but not for racing. I'm currently trying to work out whether the 5's are responsible for the massive wheel wobble I get, as I've had the wheels trued.

Although my suspicions are that I need a deep section wheel on the rear to kill this.....