Home Chat General Chat

turboing it

I am about to begin my training for a series of 70.3 and IM tris next year....prep for IM in 2011

Wht's missing in my training are longer bike rides....never been much of a turbo person, but I hope to start using one now. The winter is long and my gym only offers 50 minute Spinning sessions.

Any tips on how to make a turbo session less boring? Watching moves? music? what do you guys do?
Whats the longest turbo session you guys sometimes do?

(Conehead - I have already watched LOTR, maybe I'll watch them again! )

Comments

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Spinervals - Tough Love will sort you out. Sweating buckets is a good home spin class. If you're really sadistic you could do the 6 hour hardcore 100.

Just remember though if you're not doing a 70.3 till say July/August that's a long way a way.............Don't burn out too soon get injured get pi**ed of etc..

G
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Spinervals "have mercy" is another one to try. A compelation of the best (or worst depending on your viewpoint) bits from the first 8 sessions that had me wishing it was over halfway through (it's 2 hours long).
  • sfullersfuller Posts: 628
    at this time of year it's all about slow steady aerobic shit, keeping it in zone 2....
  • must admit im enjoying my turbo sessions- admittedly i get an hour or so at work so im kind of getting paid for it but i love action films, dont notice how hard im going.
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    Thanks guys - kinda wanted to stay from Spinervals and such...as it's still months before I need to be race-ready.
    Any more tips for L2 kinda rides?

Thanks!
  • 24. You;ve got seven full days worth, whoch should see you through the winter. Everytime Jack kills someone, a 3 minute sprint, every time Kim gets kidnapped, up out of the saddle for 5.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    I regularly do 4-5 hour sessions on the turbo through winter, it trains the mind as well as the body mentally, so when you find your mind starts to wander you can re-focus during a race because hopefully you wont be out there as long as 5 hours during a middle distance event.

I am still doing some speed work even at this point of the season - this is so when it comes to actually nailing the speed and strength stuff next year closer to the race season my legs already are fired up for it. Its only one session a week and the other 3 bike sessions are aerobic based L2 sessions.

If you want to do an online turbo session have a look at the 'ALTERNATIVE' forum (BCTTT) and join that. We have a weekly group online turbo session using webcams.... It still has problem areas to iron out but so far it has been ok.
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    wow, with webcams - sheesh, I never thought of that - cool.
    Will defo give that a go!

24 sounds good too!
  • if you go to the 'Tacx' website they have more turbo sessions than you can shake a stick at, sprints to endurance, easy to killer, and of course you'll need a few good dvd's.