Home Chat General Chat

London Oly or Sprint

okay here is the deal...as you all probably know its London deadline day today so I now have a choice do I enter the olympic distance or the sprint distance.

My major hurdle is the swim... My goal was to have swam near the 1500m in the pool ... in intervals at the very least by today.. that didn't happen total swim today was 1100m (longest interval is 300m)

I had planned to do a "warm up" sprint at the begging of June (Tri-fest) and a pool try a week later (sutton) and probably one of the open water days organised by London Tri..

So my question is do you reckon that I could crack the full distance of 1500m (assuming running and biking aint a problem) or should I play it safe and go for the sprint...

Comments

• RobRob Posts: 209
    Go for the Olympic. I dare you.
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Go for the olympic. I plan on doing one next year, so you got more peanuts than me.

If in doubt do the hard one

Jason
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Cheers lads... I am not sure the wife will agree...

" If in doubt do the hard one" - that's my sentiment - if I go soft and get to there thinking "fcuk me I could've done the oly" - i'd be well pissed off...
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    hiya Loon ... Am in the same boat ... I seriously want the olympic distance .. by the time london comes around I will have (fingers crossed) completed 2 sprints ... but whereas I am confident about my bike and run ... I aint no man from atlantis (YET) .. I want the ploympic but not sure about the extra distance on the swim itself the rest no worries.

The wife wouldnt kill me (I dont think) the bank manager might ... if my swimming takes off I would sign now .. argh !!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont know ????

madnurse (phil)
  • jojojojo Posts: 76
    I agree - go for the Olympic - I have and it is my first tri. we've got lots of time to train so I'm hoping it'll all come good.

The way I saw it is that there is no pressure - just to do the best I can.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

JO
    i have lost the plot ..... just agreed to do chester tri & london tri both at olympic for the NSPCC ... I must be mad ...

so no onelse better bottle it either one in all in ... lets go for it !!!!!!

phil (i need my medication) [:)][:)][:)][:)]
    madnurse - clearly the name is less than an accident...

Jojo - Like the attitude...

Olympic it is I suppose...I was hoping someone might say "christ can only swim how far? don't do it boy" but clearly you are all sadists

Ian

come on Loon .. you know you wanna slice of olympic pie... I'll buy you a pint if you beat me.....

madnurse (phil)
    haha .... Thats a safe pint I have seen your training....

you aint seen my swimmming tho' ....

phil

p.s. which are people doing then age / sex secific group entry or the mixed sex / age group ... if we all entered the mixed we could do a syncronised swim so no-one looks bad ... [:D][:D]
    Barclaycard just entered me in the Oly

Ah sh1t just read your posted and entered my age group as that is what it recommended... I will see if I can change...

you aint seem my swimming either

Have a good weekend

Loonytoon (Ian)

am entered and have sorted a hotel .. i was given a contact for cheap accom on site dunno if this any use to anyone .. bucks fizz travel .. they sort special rates for stuff like tri's .. maybe worth a look ...

hope to see a few of you there !!!!!!!!!!!!

madnurse (phil)
  • fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    if this is not too late, and i'm sure by now you've all entered the olympic.

but no on eseems to have mentioned that wetsuits give you bouyancy!! the speed might not increase massively in a wetsuit but they do make a difference, with the extra bouyancy the olympic won't be a problem. good luck

fat matt
    Cheers matt, have entered the olympic but hadn't considered the wetsuit thing in my panic....

Nurse - Bucks fiz travel...is that really a company or a clever play on words about "making you mind up" ?

hi loon !!!! no play on words (for once) is a travel company - fortunately i i didnt forget a wetsuit - although it has backfired on me the other way. I thought the four races I had entered were all open water ... so i didnt bother learning how to do tumble turns in the pool (dont need if swimming in a lake) .. only to find out cheshire tri my 1st is a pool swim feck feck feck ..

madnurse (phil)
    ah tumble turns that sounds a bit serious...though as I am gonna try the strafford (pool) tri I suppose learning them will at least make my times look better...unless I miss one and have to go back and touch the wall.
    cant be having this Loon .. it reckons you a senior member now .. whereas I am still with the oiks and the low life as a junior .. [:@] grrrr ... arh well nowt wrong with being a snakes belly ... but come the revolution !!!!!

anyhow am not too fussed about tumble turns and I figure touching the wall wont the issue - letting go after 18 lengths might be though lol ....... nah it'll all come good on day lad .. at least I hope it will [:D][:D][:D]

phil
    Do I get a bus pass for being over 60?

you'll be asking for a handicap system for the london tri next .. old timer !!!!
    Anything to ensure a free pint

speaking of which - what is your estimated/goal time for london?

splutters !!!!!!!!!!!!! my what ..... my goal for a finsh time ... my goal is to avoid A&E then to complete the swim and lastly to enjoy the guinness you will be buying me !!!!! I trouble myself not with meer trivialities such as times ...

seriously though I havent got a clue .. maybe ask me after my 1st few tri's in June until then I havent a clue .. I thouight about using training times but they wont reflect the adrenaline rush of the event itself .. so who knows

madnurse (phil)

ps I will be the one with NSPCC across my ars3 streaking past you in a blue tri suit .. maybe
    yeah it maybe early for that sorta thing...but I figure if I have a goal for each section then I can work towards it...even if it might be a bit fast

I don't remember the beer offer being 2 way especially as London will be you "peak" race

am flattered you think I am going to peak ....

phil
    Mind games (or summat)

p.s.

Bus pass for nurse

Morning Loon !!! no mind games I assure you ... my aim is purely to beat myself (ie finish) not to necessarily beat others. That & to have my first pint in what will have been eeek 5 months .... blimey I'll be leathered on half a guinness ...

phil
    ;)

I nearly beat myself in the pool this morning or should I say the pool nearly beat me...

I haven't as yet given up the booze but will probably do so for 2 or 3 weeks before london. Though I have a 30th (not mine) birthday the week before which is gonna take some will power to stay off the source...

• DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    [8|]Guys - Just what you wanted to hear - this months Runners World has a piece on drinking (alcohol) and it seems that even the great Pinto (London winner) drinks at least one glass of red wine per day.

The article says it is good for us! They don't just limit themselves to wine either, they say that a pint of beer is good for you too; is that after the wine or before?[;)]

David
  • DOtriHarderDOtriHarder Posts: 307
    So now that youv'e both got your bus pass, when do i get to be a junior member?

DAvid[8D]
    Excellent...does it mention ten pints?

30 I think...

• BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    You see I had the dilemma as a newb of do I do the sprint ot the oly when I signed up. Looked at it for a while and thought I'd go sprint to be safe, then shocked at the cost decided to see just how much more they were charging for the pleasure of the olympic distance and was shocked to see it was only another £5 or so more. Decided that I would get my monies worth and do the full distance.

Damn the bean counter in me; I recently completed my first 1500m and have decided I need to get some serious training in if I want to even be able to pull myself out of the water let alone complete the bike and run....