Home Chat General Chat

Rotational Training

I work in the oil industry on a 5 week rotation which means that I have 5 weeks working 14 hours a day, 7 days a week in Brunei, followed by 5 weeks field break living in Aberdeen. I have signed up to compete in the Ironman Switzerland which takes place in late July and I now want to get serious about training. I have a few questions which I would be very grateful if anyone could help me with:

1. Does anyone have any experience of training under similar conditions, and are there any tips you could give me?

2. If I can only train for max 1hr per day for 5 weeks what should I be concetrating on? (I have been running home from the rig recently which has been good exercise - 15 km in 25 degree heat and 95% humidity, taking me about 1hr 10mins. Is this worthwile base training or do I really need to be on the bike? Thing is, Brunei is very flat and I don't want to venture far in the dark)...

3. Is there anyone working rotation and living in Aberdeen who would be keen to train with me during off time?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Dave

Comments

• ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    Dave

Here's something to get around not being able to swim if this is the case for the rig time.

http://www.byrn.org/gtips/swimcords.htm

I like to get a 'big bike week' in when I can. I teach so half term holidays are ideal, ride easy for 3-6 hours every day for a week. Builds base for bike and run. Especially if you ride hilly routes. You could do something along those lines that first week back. Then follow a lower intensity, high volume swim, run, bike plan while at home. Could even 'big bike week' at start and end of home time. When at the rig follow a higher intensity, low volume plan for running (like you are with that 15km run every day), and do yoga and core for strength and mobility with the swim band stuff too. Especially hip stretches for the run and plank on elbows for core for running and aero.
    Working 14 hour days, 7 days a week make sure you rest enough. That's pretty intense anyway, without a load of training on top.

that's my tuppence. Over to others who know more than me.
    Ade
  • Thanks Ade, I really appreciate the advice - it's been difficult to know how to maintain my fitness levels with such an awkward schedule but I feel more confident now that I can maintain some sort of base whilst I am away. It will just be important to put the bike miles in when I'm at home!

Cheers again!

Dave