Home Chat General Chat

My new turbo..

so finally got the trainer setup today (cyclops fluid 2)...
and my initial impressions as 1st time to ever use one...
Lot of visible wear on rear tyre...possibly had it too tight but lots of bits of rubber on the floor...guess this will calm down & the tyre was pretty new anyway
Sweat thong over bike never going to be enough...best to drape the bike in a couple of old towels...and quarter of the price...
DVD definately to be used...i used the warm up section in Race day x 3 times to get the blood going...
45 mins 1st session in the bag...only 4 more months to go till sunlight

Comments

• GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Sounds like you need a specific turbo tyre e.g the continental version?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Conti ... 360017042/

Wouldn't use the other tyre on the raod now.

If it is a turbo tyre quite usual to get a bit of crap off it as it settles.

G
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    A normal road tyre will last about 5 minutes on a turbo and the one you have used, although you say it was nearly new, is probably already half way through it's life!!! The reason is the heat build up on a turbo is much higher than the road and will wear a road tyre out VERY quickly.

As mentioned int he above thread, you need a specific turbo training tyre.

I too have just bought the Fluid 2 and think it's an excellent 'no frill's' turbo.
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    Does anyone know where you can buy a wheel which is suited for the turbo??

I want to get that tyre, but I don't want to be changing my tyre when I want to head out for a spin on a nice day....is there a wheel which is designed for the turbo?
    Even the cheapest wheels still arent's cheap....I don't need a wheel which can handle potholes a 30kph if it's gonna stay ona turbo!

Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • OranjOranj Posts: 45
    I just use an old, knackered race wheel. Keep your eyes peeled in the classifieds/eBay (you may need to buy a pair - rear wheels on their own are rarer - people tend to trash those first and then flog the front).

I've also got a Cyclops Fluid (they're got a lot of resistance, eh?). It's not too hard on tyres, so maybe you've got the roller wound up a bit tight on the tyre. It doesn't need to be too extreme a contact - as the tyre warms up it'll stop squeaking/slipping.
  • That turbo tyre is proving popular...sold out at lots of places...
    However i found it at a reasonable price on this site...
    http://www.totalcycling.com/

not used them before...order placed last night will let you know the experience i get...

(also on the look out for a spare wheel - but may just pop back to bike shop and ask for a spare 2nd hand one)
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    good idea....

I'll check my local s.h. bike shop too.
  • doogledoogle Posts: 58
    I've used normal tyres on a turbo for years, as have most of the time trialists i trained with over the years and have never had a problem with tyres wearing out quickly.

Even did a charity indoor bike ride (nearly 200 miles on the turbo) with no ill effects on the bike / tyre.

As for entertainment on the turbo, Sean Yates was quoted in cycling weekly saying that if you need a distraction then you arn't working hard enough. If anyone knows about bike training its him.
  • received my new turbo tyre...good service from the Total cycling folks...
    Using my race (only) wheels...gonna swap between the tyres so good practise for changing wheels/tyres/tubes in a hurry...should be pretty good by next year!..