Home Chat General Chat

Anybody done IM training mainly in Richmond Park, Surrey?

I remember that somebody on the board did IM Lanzarote using Richmond Park as their training ground. Would love to know about that training program and how well it prepared you for IM bike course. Also thinking of IMUK or IMUK 70.3.

Comments

• I think RP is a fantastic training ground.
    It's certainly were I'll be doing the majority of my Middle Distance training next year.
    A couple of laps of the trail on the run and you've done, just over, a half marathon of hilly terrain.
    10.8K a lap cycle on roads that have everything (hopefully the gravel will clear soon ).
    Brilliant!

I think the combination of hills prepare you for just about anything!
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Thanks for that! I was worried that there are not enough hills for the cycle, as for example HIMUK is about 1740m climbs and Rchmond Park lap is not even 100m. I am doing 4 to 5 laps at the moment and will work my way up to ..... 10?! But even that would give me less than 1000m climb. I really like the park and it is part of my daily commute.
  • I'm guessing that you're in surrey if you're going to use richmond park or training. HIMUK is a hilly course, even though you'll do 1k climbing on 10 laps of richmond park, it won't prepare you for hill climbing. There are loads of hills to cycle on if you cycle out into surrey - box hill et al, it'll also relieve the monotony of going round and round the park
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Not sure why anyone would want to ride around the same park 10 times day after day!
    Isn't there one toughish climb at Bolton, about 2.5 miles in length? Reckon you ought to venture out of Richmond and into some proper hills, as Jellybaby suggests.
    There are some good climbs to be found in Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire - in fact anywhere other than London!
    Thanks guys, will go out and explore Surrey and surrounds. Richmond Park is just convenient as I live close and with two little kids time is limited ...
  • There are 11 BCTTTers going out for a 65 mile sportive on 6th December in the Surrey hills. The profile is er...... hilly followed by some more hills!!!

Your more than welcome to come along - PM me for details if you fancy it.
  • Hills? No one told me about hills?

Oh dear.
    I went out into the Surrey hills for the first time yesterday, leaving Richmond Park behind.

Apart from the weather, I had a great time. When I was approaching Box Hill I was mentally ready for pain and kept telling myself "... the legs want to burst but they keep on spinning ..."

The pain never came and I was surprised that it was really manageable. I had done just over 200 km this week commuting and this Saturday ride was another 60 km. Ok, I kept it at a slow 10-12 miles an hour up the hill and 20 mph for the rest of the ride, but I had feared that doing mainly loops in the park and 40 mile rides in the area of Kingston, Hampton, Staines, Weybridge, etc would not prepare me well enough.

I cannot wait to get out again and explore a few more routes that feature some of the other climbs. After all Box Hill is a 200m climb, HIMUK is 1745m ....

Thanks for all your feedback!