Home Chat General Chat

sheesh, imagine what an IM does to you

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I note he's an academic, the same ones who say that a bumble bee can't fly.

This prof quotes an American study but does not qualify the status of 'non-elite' that can be anything from an excellent runner who is only a few minute or so behind the elites to someone weighing 18 stone who did the marathon for a bet.

He is not too keen on 'popular marathons' presumably the likes of the London etc. are also included. Well if you read the posts on here neither are many of us. Yes if you do a marathon for a bet and have done stuff all by way of training you are going to have problems/do damage - as Basil Fawlty would would say the prof is a master in 'the subject of the bleeding obvious'.

Upshot - am I more likely to die from growing lard on my arse watching ' I'm a vacuous tart - sorry celebrity get me out of here' or from doing some form of physical activity?
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    What a load of tosh. Its so bad where do you start. As for the study of 60 non-elites have a look on Wikipedia and see how they sumarise the study:

"In 2006, a study of 60 non-elite marathon participants tested runners for certain proteins (see Troponin) which indicate heart damage or dysfunction after they had completed the marathon, and gave them ultrasound scans before and after the race. The study revealed that, in that sample of 60 people, runners who had done less than 35 miles per week training before the race were most likely to show some heart damage or dysfunction, while runners who had done more than 45 miles per week training beforehand showed few or no heart problems." Not quite how the associate prof of biochemistry ( NB not cardiology) reported it.

As for the comment on damage to joints I thought that had been disproven too many time for anyone to seriously bother with. In my early 20's I was told by my GP that I would have arthrytis etc in my knees by the time I was 45. I'm now well over 50 and going better than ever - as are all my running buddies (or cohort if you want use academic terms) from the time.

As for exercise as medicine. Count me out. I don't even like medicine as medicine.