Home Chat General Chat

Ironman tattoo

Ok hello everyone I've been away, but I'm back on it now a bit fatter but back on the forum. So back to the subject I did the IMUK this year and thought as soon as I'd done it I'd be straight to get my tattoo. But I just can't decide on it, is it ok to get one or a bit common and boasting???

Comments

• RockieRockie Posts: 40
    Dude, if I ever do one, I'm definitely getting one.

You must be at least in the 99.95 percentile of the populace, just by finishing.
  • EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    i have just re surfaced after baby number 3. Did IM lanzarote this year and now proudly have the tattoo on my leg. It is a constant and proud remionder of what i went through - it symbolises achiebvement and fortitude and as conehead points out not the organisation that runs the events.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    How does getting one work? Is there some official process?
  • Cheers guys, it's a big thing I did not let myself think about getting one before the event. I think I'm going to go for it on the leg and a fairly decent size. Jules I think the first bit of it is tell the missus you're doing an Ironman and try and fit the training in. Then do it then I assume you go and see them and get some designs done. Now what hurts more the IM or the tattoo??
  • Do not post an answer to that last point. I'm looking to do IM next year, and get the tattoo, but if IM is painful, then I don't want to know that the tattoo is more painful. Enough said!
  • gingertrigingertri Posts: 277
    and what if you do an IM distance but not part of Mdot brand?
  • andyb99andyb99 Posts: 229
    the only reason i'm doing it is so i can get the tattoo...i'd look a right nob if i got the tatt but then people found out i'd not really done one!!!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I've had 5 tats and the only one that was sore was the one I got on my forearm.

the one on the forearm took 2.5hrs to do and was complete agony. Its one of the sorest places to get one.

I've had a 4hr sitting for the one on my right arm/shoulder and I sat and watched two dvd's while getting it done. Its a large samoan tat and was not even painful. Yes i was aware it getting done but honestly its a little scratch at worst.

I'm now planning my sixth across my back.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    As I've said before, if I finish IMCH in 2010 I'm getting one slap bang in the middle of my forehead.

Maybe.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Do it Flavadave!!! And it is WHEN you finish not if!

I am definetely going to get one - I was thinking of getting it on the inside of my forearm but more likely I'll go the usual route and get it on my calf/lower leg. I will probably go for a straight forward plain M. about 4 or 5 ins high on the calf- possibly with IMCH 2010 underneath and maybe the finish time if i don't plan on doing another one (and the time is reasonable )
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Sounds like Shadowone is going for the David Beckham look!
    If you want a tattoo get one. Personally can't see the attraction. Waste of money and time in my book. But each to their own and all that.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Thought I might have been in the minority,8 M dot events and no tattoo.
    Tats are addicitive.

Each to their own as they say.

planning 6th along my back which will then come over to the chest. Look at Gavin Riggs. His is amazing.
  • That's waht I like to hear. If I ever finish the race, and then get the tattoo, I'm glad that it's not a ramp-up in the pain levels.
  • I love the one who's only got half of the M done, I assume he'll get it finished when he does the full distance.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Or you could go temporary to satisfy the initial euphoria
    http://knol.google.com/k/ehowknol/how-t ... iw4cz/197#

I must admit an achievement like that would be tempting!
    bigger the better.

Tats are not sore!
  • Ok I'm going to do it and if anyone says what's that? I can just say that's my Ironman tattoo, it took me a year to get and I overcame my massive fear of OW swimming. It's going to be the IM symbol in black and on the leg.

Cheers everyone.
  • I got mine 3 days after Bolton. It's on my calf.
    It's known as the pink mcdonalds tattoo to my workmates.
  • md6 wrote:
    Do it Flavadave!!! And it is WHEN you finish not if!

I am definetely going to get one - I was thinking of getting it on the inside of my forearm but more likely I'll go the usual route and get it on my calf/lower leg. I will probably go for a straight forward plain M. about 4 or 5 ins high on the calf- possibly with IMCH 2010 underneath and maybe the finish time if i don't plan on doing another one (and the time is reasonable )
    That would definitely look cool! I'll be getting one as well next week! tattoo designs
  • I like tattoos and have a spiral on my shoulder.

But I wouldn't dream of branding myself with the logo of a large corporation. Personal opinion.

But what really gets me is.....what about IronWomen???? Why are these races expressed in such macho terms?

blurredgirl
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    I saw a woman at on of the lakes I train in with a W with the dot above it, which I thought was quite cool if you were bothered about having the m-dot (and were a lady).
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    ok, so i did sprints this year with ODs next year so might change my mind again.......but here goes....in jan/feb this year when i first got into this madness i thought the mdot would have been very cool....now i have gone the other way...the feeling of racing and finishing (or is that the other way round)....is what it is all about ..i won't need to show someone a tat to have the sense of what i have achieved.
  • Can you have an M dot tattoo if you've done a branded 70.3 is it only for going long ?
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    Mate, it's your body, get whatever the funk you want on it. Some people would say you only deserve it for going long, but then some others say only if you have been to Kona, and some even only if you win kona.

Considering what you and Ewan are doing on the 70.3, you are more than deserving of the m-dot than most people doing the full distance (myself included).
  • Yea but I'm not doing an M dot branded event.... so depending on how I get on I can see Ewan and I going long for a full Ironman.

Now remind me how metal I am when I'm struggling around the middle distance race please.

But it does beg the question..... why can't I ? ?

( oh dear) :roll:
    Get a TL dot tatto. Make it personal to you
  • Here are a few designs ....

http://mauriciosegura.blogspot.com/2009 ... ttoos.html

http://mauriciosegura.blogspot.com/2009 ... ns-ii.html
    After looking at that lot, it's convinced me that less is more!!!. There are some terrible tats in there, some of them you can hardly make out what it's meant to be!!

Defo going to get one as I've already been bitten by the tattoo bug. Probably a decent size Mdot, brilliant red, black outline, date above it and time underneath it.
  • Not too sure about the time, unless it is respectable, or 16:59:59