Home Chat General Chat

Bike delivery/transport

Hi!
I was wondering what is the best solution in the UK for a bike delivery?
I'm looking for the cheapest, but safe way to get a bike delivered from Dumfries, Scotland to Coventry.
What courier company would you recommend?
Thanks.

Comments

• Fed Ex for £25 insured same day delivery. Online tracking too
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Where you buying the bike from dumfries? Are you getting it from a shop?

I'm being nosey cause I'm localish to that area.
  • " Intra-country service is not available at this time.".
    What?? FedEx does not do domestic shippings?? Do you have a link for the service? It would be great if it were only 25 for a bike..

I'm buying the bike from a private, not from a shop.

And is there any way (I'm not sure of the integrity of the bike) that I reject the bike if it has any important flaws? Crashes etc.

Thanks again.
    There is a saying:

" Let the buyer beware". unfort for a private sales you are not covered by the distance selling rule such as say buying from a catalogue. Its your respons to check the bike is fit for purpose and that respect once you part with the cash you are pretty much knackered.

You would have a right under delict which would be governed by Scots Law as you buying from Scotland. It would be very difficult to prove under delict as the loss would be pure economice loss ( I think).

I can double check this for you, but i seriously recommend that you get an inspection of the bike prior to parting with the cash.
  • Guys could you please come with other ideas/experiences?
    I am trying to find a carrier but apparently they don't ship boxes of over 150cm in length?!
    I am really having a hard time finding a simple and cheap way of shipping a bike.
    If you did this or know something about it, please shout it here!

Thanks!
    can't you just drive and pick it up? That way you can inspect it before parting with the cash????
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I've used DHL (well, most of the others too, but DHL for personal use). None of them are perfect. Insurance is a good idea. They are all much of a muchness. I don't understand the size restriction - unless it is all to do with 1) Christmas 2) Royal Mail's demise - so the space that your big parcel will take up can be more profitably filled with lots of little ones - i.e. it is a supply and demand situation.

Why isn't the vendor arranging it? That is usually what happens.... after all, they are the ones who will have to package it.
  • Is there any way I can give the money to the carrier, and when the bike arrives to me safely, the seller gets his money from the carrier? So giving the money to a third party until I receive the bike.
    It's a little awkward to send my money in the seller's account without having received the bike.
    What would you do?

Please post a few opinions, I have to see what to do, time is ticking

I don't have a car, so it's a little hard to go all the way to Dumfries. I could go by train, but that's about 80 quid..
  • I've couriered two bikes that I sold on ebay. Both times I sent them via ParcelForce. Went to the LBS and got an old cardboard bike box from them, dismantled the bike, wrapped it up using bubblewrap and pipe unsulation etc, and dropped the box off at local ParcelForce office. Buyer could then track the parcel, and all went swimmingly.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Vlad,
    Hi,try looking at a haulage company in the Dumfries area,the name Curries seems to be familiar,they may be doing a haulage run from that area to the area where you are living or near by and would be willing to stick the bike in the truck for you for a small fee.Or ring round to the removal firms in your area and see if they are doing any trips up North and may be able to help out as their vans could have some space on board for the return trip.
    Or you could get the train or hitch hike up and then cycle back for abit of training.
    Best of luck.