Home Chat General Chat

Which is the best investment?

Winter/wet weather cycling gear (which will double up as running for me too probably) or a turbo trainer fo indoors?

Have had a new road bike hanging in the shed for about 6 weeks untouched since picked up as the weather has been rotten or been to busy at weekends to get out when it hasn't been.

Comments

• Me, I went for the wet weather gear. There was no way I could sit on a bike in the house and ride. Admittedly, I haven't ridden much in the last 6 weeks or so, but I keep the legs ticking over at spinning classes. Hwoever, with good winter kit I've been running in all condtions, and my running is improving. cycling can wait until te weatehr is better.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    turbo trainer.

Admittedly you'll get more benefit from being outdoors, turbo's are good for intervals.

Bang on a dvd and sit and pummel while watching a film.

Spare a thought for this. Chris Clarke does 5 hours on a turbo next to fecking roasting radiator...

I learned this on a night out and nearly cacked it... I can hardly manage an hour on the turbo.
  • Turbo
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    I tried to Aero Base Builder Spinerval DVD recently....it's about 90 minutes long....before hand I watched some TV (warm-up).

I found a two hour session on the turbo really enjoyable.......but only because of the Spinervals DVD.

Screw the wet gear - you won't use them anyway. It's horrible cycling in wind/rain, no matter what gear you have...
  • Wet weather gear and get outside. The turbo is NOT a substitute for riding on the road, it's good for doing interval sessions as S11 mentioned, but getting on your bike will help you develop handling skills in the rain, which means better ones in the dry. Also, you can't learn to climb hills on the turbo, yes you can develop power, but it's not the same as being outside going up a 1:10 hill with the wind in your face!

It's going to rain for the next few months, do you really want to spend all that time indoors on a turbo?? Sounds dreadful! If it's raining on the day of your next tri are you going to DNS? If you've ridden in the rain you know how you cope with it. You don't want to turn up and realise you're going to be riding in the rain for 3 hours and have never done it before. HTFU and get out in the cold!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Wet gear & face the world, I love running in the rain..cycling not so much I will agree, bit I believe Joe Beer once said its no use being the best cyclist in January.
    If I ever think of buying a turbo..will someone shoot me?
    Actually I think Lady Britspin would do it for you...
  • Why don't you buy a more basic turbo and spend the rest of the budgeted money on some winter running gear? Riding in the raid is one thing but riding in the cold and dark is another thing altogether IMHO. The shorter days make cycling much more dangerous and the turbo removes the risk of hitting an icy patch of road on a late ride - and also removes any excuses for not doing a session due to cold/dark/hail etc. The turbo also opens the possiblity to do some short sharp sessions when time is short.
  • Thanks for the input people. Countless years mountain biking means I'm no fair weather rider. Does that make me well 'ard already Jellybaby??!

Was out running first thing this morning but was only light rain which is ok for what I was wearing. Really enjoyed it so I'm leaning towards suitable clothing and from the sounds of it will benefit more from cycling and running outdoors than just cycling indoors.

Cheers
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Unfortunately you need both. If you go for the wet weather gear now, you'll be shopping for a Turbo next month. Or the other way round.

I went for a Turbo first... then realised I needed wet weather gear. Unfortunately, the requirements for running/cycling are a bit different. Cycling, your upper body will be cold during bad weather, but running it will be hot. So you tend to want a looser fiting running top (lots of space to breath). With cycling you want a gilet to keep your warm/keep the wind out, and a tight fitting ultralight top - less breathable, but won't catch the wind and slow you down.

Just don't get the kids any presents this year.
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    I find that both works for me!!

I love going for a ride at the weekend whatever the weather, however don't fancy the dark wet nights too much, so have recently got myself a turbo and a few spinning DVD's.

I find that whilst the long weekend ride is good, the quicker (normally between 30 mins and 1 hour) sessions on the turbo, give me a lot more structure to my training and I'm finding improvements in my general riding already, so for me, it's outdoors at the weekend with 2/3 turbo sessions in the evenings.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    IBM shares.

• I've parked the bike on the turbo for the winter, can only handle 10 mins at a one time, so find myself doing 10 mins 1 min intervals with 1 mile repeat runs in between!

Considering putting my aero bars on my mtb for the roads in between trails at the weekends!

I don't think its wise doing high mileage on dark nights, even with lights and high viz.
  • iadamaiadama Posts: 60
    As an aside, I picked up some dirt cheap Karrimor wet weather running gear from Sports World, including a high viz jacket for less than a tenner (rrp of 50 quid IIRC), so if you do end up with a turbo you can still get some cheap stuff for running.
  • Conehead wrote:
    Do you still have your MTB? If so leave the road bike parked and ride the MTB all winter, better then a turbo and road riding combined over winter.
    Cheers for the different angle Conehead, not considered that MTBing would be any more of a benefit although unless I get some good night riding lights am limited to weekends only.

Current bike is broken down for sale, its worth a few bob and is paying off the last of my debts - getting a hardtail with the leftover cash for use through the winter is a definite possibility and something I will look into. Letting my bike go has been hard but this option gives me hope!!

I want to be outdoors as much as possible no matter what the weather, so shopping for wet weather/winter gear and hopefully get a few miles in here and there on the road bike.

Thanks everybody.