Home Chat General Chat

Abu Dhabi Triathlon - March 2010

Is anyone else thinking of entering the Abu Dhabi triathlon next March? It's almost my most 'local' triathlon at the moment, and it seems too good an opportunity to miss. However, whilst it's just 1.5km swim (without wetsuit) and 10km run, it's a whopping 100km bike - and this is just for the short course: the long course is twice as far for each distance.

I've only done Olympic and Sprint distances before, and the 100km will pretty much double the time of the race. I've done one non-wetsuit 1.5km swim before (Dorney lake this summer), but never such a long bike leg. Will this be that much harder? I'm loathe to miss it, not least because there are not many triathlons in this part of the world, but at the same time I don't have any capacity to increase my training above the level that has just about got me through Olympic distances in the past three seasons (work, 3 kids under 3, inertia, beer and laziness etc.....). It's a March race, so I can't run myself into it gently by doing a couple of easy races - does this matter? The longest continuous bike leg that I've done so far is 60km, and the vast majority of my training is on a turbo-trainer - the local roads are too dangerous and too potholed to ride on, so I'll have little opportunity to remedy this before race day. On the other hand, my bike is both carbon and, more importantly, red.

Any views welcome (and, to those Ironmen amongst us, maximum respect, but I can't say, with any honesty, that I'm in that category yet - I can 't do more than 5hrs a week training at the moment). Would also like to hear from anyone else who is thinking of doing the race.

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    They never used to have a triathlon did they.......now Abu Dhabi do......
  • If it;s your local, then there is no way you can miss this one. It's a new distance, so you're guaranteed a PB. The swim and run, you've already done the distances, so just need to keep yourself fresh. The bike, how hard can it be. Just try to get at least one 100k ride in so you know how it feels. OK, the time might not be fantastic, but just don't focus on the prize money on this one, just the finishing. If you don't give it a go you'll regret it.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Well I thought it was funny....especially if you say it out load...in a flintstone stylee.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Not sure if you already know the region but the swim is in front of the emirates palace in a perfectly flat sea with nothing that would even qualify as a wave. also the roads are pancake flat with only raised intersections being the form of up/down.

I'm sure I read that there would be road closures but this would certainly be essential given the shocking driving standards over there.