Home Chat General Chat

Cassette, and chain length

I’ve got a few hilly rides coming up, so looking to change my rear cassette from a 12-25 to an 11-28, just to make the hills a little easier.

If I put a cassette with a larger final cog on the back, will I need to make any adjustments to the chain length to suit?

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Quite possibly.

Have a look at Sheldon Brown:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain

This guy was a whizz at all sorts of bike things
  • Excellent. I think I'll bookmark that site, seems to hAve some useful stuff on it
  • pippip Posts: 170
    Iwas thinking of doing the same to my bike changing from a 12/25 to a 12/27 but i spoke to a good cyclist friend of mine and he told me i was a bit of a wus for even thinking it and catagorically said "don`t do it" but i might just chicken out and go for a 12/27 anyway.Still thinking
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Had this discussion before - if your mate is that hard why doesn't he go single gear?

It's all about being smart and adapting to the event. If the ride is flat as a pancake then stick to close ratios. If it's lumpy then why not a 27? You spend more time going up a hill than down and if you can save time and energy going up you will have more time and energy to go fast on the flat bits.

Simples
  • Zacnici, that was my thinking. Some of my events have substantial climbing, and I want to be in a fit state to run after as well.