Home Chat General Chat

220 Awards

Hello everyone

As you'll see the next stage of voting is open for the 220 awards and it seems the near divorce inducing activities of my husband over the last year in triathlon have resulted in his club being shortlisted for Tri Club of year and himself (Darren Roberts) for Outstanding Contribution to Triathlon over last 12 months.

You may think what is exactly 'outstanding' about anything he's done - but he's been the champion of the triathlon rookie all year. Not only forming a triathlon club which states 'of you prop up the bottom of the results table we want you' and if there is any doubt about the ethos of the club look at the homepage of www.bcttt.com and see how the club awards went.......He also harrased all the major triathlons into putting on Rookie Waves with Chase Race taking up the challenge. The Rookie waves were the most over subscribed waves in the races, the attitude being 'come and breastroke the whole thing if you want, no pressure'.

The creation of the Rookie days and his book (How Triathlon Ruined My Life which is 2nd bestselling book only to Joe Friel overall on Amazon) which is in no small part responsible for a reasonable number of people converting to the darkside in triathlon.

Whilst I joke about his divorce inducing activities, really he's driven me mad. Doing Ironman's is bad enough but seemingly trying to take on the sport of triathlon and how it looks after new people to the sport was almost the last straw!

I'm sure everyone is deserving who has been shortlisted - but if you could find your way to vote for Darren (conehead) and the BCTTT its not a vote for him, but for a) me not killing him this year and b) its a vote for all the rookies, people with £400 bikes and borrowed wetsuits who take part in triathlon.

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    He shall have my vote and anyone who knows him will know what he's done over the past year.

Well done CH. and Well done Mrs C for putting up with him
  • + 1 from me.

The reason I am here is cos of Conehead and without his input Team Laws wouldn't exist.

Here's to winning and when we do win the club award I can seriously promise something that no on in the tri world will be expecting. God help you if your coming to the awards in Feb. LOL
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    Already got my vote.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Much as I respect the other names on the list, none of them have ever actively encouraged me, given me advice, helped me with training or set up a tri club that I really wanted to be part of. Apart from Darren 'Conehead' Roberts.

I reckon Darren has done more to get people out there and just giving it a go than anyone this year. If it weren't for him I would never have done my first HIM this year. I'd still be sat there panicking and thinking I'd never be ready.

If everybody on this forum who has ever benefited from his advice were to give him the vote he deserves he'd win by miles. Same goes for BCTTT.... you might not be a member yet, but you know we'll be there for you when you want to join a club.

Vote, guys. Vote!
  • Just to reiterate, Darren Roberts is Conehead. Offers advice to all levels through this, and BCTTT forum, and particulalry helps out the rookies.
  • I've now voted. Fantastic work Conehead - I didn't know how much stuff you've got going.
  • got my vote....1st year in tri's...watched the brownlee boys, watched jodie, and chrissie...total time approx 6-7 hours...
    Time spent on 220 in 1st 5 months of year probably over 100 hours+ gleening information in my desperation to not look a plonker in 1st sprint on MTB bike and trainers....lots of lessons learnt from CH...(especially swim nemesis)
    also partially responsible for the masses of equipment i now have from Bridgwtown/Wiggle and the races i have entered for next year including Chaserace OD with Rookie starts..(as well as the bike maintenance day, rookie days also planned)
    I didn't join the BCTTT as plan was to be part a birmingham based physical club, however continue to benefit from all the words of wisdom shared on the clubs site...
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    My votes in!
  • Sigh, 220 Awards. The "READERS" awards?? .......NOPE!!

The "EDITORS CHOICE" awards??.......YES!!

You can vote as many times as you like, its down to who Mr Witts - likes/wants to use their gear/wants to meet. And I'm not sure if the BCTTT fits any of those criterea.....
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Got my vote and thanks for all the advice. A special thank you for sponsoring/supporting the many athletes here on the forum that are doing this for a much greater cause than their individual PB pursuit .... not that our PBs are less important, you know what I mean!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Firestarter wrote:
    Sigh, 220 Awards. The "READERS" awards?? .......NOPE!!

You can vote as many times as you like, its down to who Mr Witts - likes/wants to use their gear/wants to meet. And I'm not sure if the BCTTT fits any of those criterea.....
    Possibly a fair point.The BCTTT ethos is that winning is not the ultimate goal to anything triathlon (although it is a good feeling),enjoyment and encouragement are fairly paramount in the teams aims.
    We entered,
    We turned up,
    we finished (but if we didn't we won't beat are selves up about it)
    If the team doesn't fit in then so be it,but you have to admit to go from zero to a nominated club within 6 months is reasonably good going.
  • jon.E wrote:
    but you have to admit to go from zero to a nominated club within 6 months is reasonably good going.
    Without question it is commendable and for that the BCTTT and Conehead have had my impartial votes. Who's Alistair Brownlee?!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    simondo3333 wrote:
    [quote="jon.E":1y8bnsfv]but you have to admit to go from zero to a nominated club within 6 months is reasonably good going.
    Without question it is commendable and for that the BCTTT and Conehead have had my impartial votes. Who's Alistair Brownlee?! [/quote:1y8bnsfv]
    I don't know much about Alistair other than he has a more famous younger brother called Jonathan
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    just put my vote in as well for Conehead!!!

Cheers
    P
  • here here Mr C has done a fantastic job (and Mrs C for putting up with him). My votes are in (some i chose randomly as i've no judgement on bikes/wetsuits - which looks nice!?)!

viva la revolution
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Firestarter said

"Sigh, 220 Awards. The "READERS" awards?? .......NOPE!!

You can vote as many times as you like, its down to who Mr Witts - likes/wants to use their gear/wants to meet. And I'm not sure if the BCTTT fits any of those criterea....."

maybe. possibly. probably even.

but if you don't vote, we'll never know.

didds