Home Chat General Chat

BBC SPORTS PERSONALITY

In the absence of Miss Wellington being in the final shortlist !!!!

I'm starting a 'vote for Mark Cavendish' in the BBC Sports personality of the year awards campaign .

Lets be having you !!!! as someone once said

Comments

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrissie_Wellington

Check out her results it says it all, totally wrong.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    Button - is Formula 1 a sport or just a very corrupt business?;
    Cavendish - The Usain Bolt of cycling;
    Daley - cringeworthy and gives me the creeps;
    Ennis - awesome athlete and definite contender;
    Giggs - Past his best;
    Haye - well done on beating some average boxers;
    Idowu - flopped at the Olympics but came back at WC so fair play;
    Murray - potential to win Slams and be World No1 (emphasis on potential);
    Strauss - England's best batsman, helped us beat those frickin Aussie losers again;
    Tweddle - well done but gymnastics ain't my thing;

So for me Cav wins, Ennis second and Strauss third (because I love cricket!)
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    If Button doesn't win, I'll eat my bike.

Isn't it funny how the more popular the sport, the more mediocre you can be and still have a chance of winning. I mean Ryan Giggs?! Come on.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Cave won't win SPOTY until he's won the TDF, simple. Its only then that he''ll get mainstream recognition.

In my opin, if you take cave out of the list then its the case of who's the best of a bad bunch.

Button???? done feck in the second half the season generally because Lewis H got a better car than he had at the start of the season.

Murray - really, as much I like him the title suggests personality and Murray doesn't have one.

Haye - Is haye really on that list??? Please...he couldn't lace Lennox Lewis's gloves.

I'll leave it at that.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    England didn't win the Ashes,it was Australia that lost the Ashes.

The annoying fact is how they get nominated in the first place,by so called pundits and sports reporters.
    the only true sportsperson of the year winners are those nominated by Joe public,so that would be the Times newspaper then,at least they chose the right one.

I would like to see Ennis win,possibly she might get second but most likely third behind Button and Giggs.
    Cycling weekly are trying to get the vote for Cavendish as they did with Hoy last year,but I doubt if he is as popular.

No nominations from the UK's most popular participation sport again,but the Anglers aren't going to lose sleep over it are they.

England didn't win the Ashes,it was Australia that lost the Ashes.
    England won, Aussies lost.
  • Cavendish wont win, a small percentage of the British public watch TDF and an even smaller understand all the jerseys and point systems going on. Hardly any of Joe public will know what a "classic" bike race is and what it means to win one if youre a sprinter. And hes generaly known as a bit of a bolshy twat by most who dont "really" know him.

It'll be Button as the BEEB has just bought F1 and thats the bottom line really.........
    Formula 1 shouldn't even be in the frickin' list..because it ain't a sport.
    The long and short of it is..does anyone actually care who wins the award?
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    As much as i would love to see caendish win I cant believe as long as I have a hole in a"£ it will ever happen so.............

I am voting for beth Tweddle. I am no fan of gynastics but what she did to win the blue ribbon was stunning. Even better than that I think she was the first brit to ever do it.. Its a none main stream sport to so lets lend our sport and get a real sports person not a publicity hound to win .
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Ennis would have to get my vote, because a vote for Cav would be wasted, much as I would love to see him win, and cause Jessica is easy on the eye too!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Any vote for any award is a wasted vote...who really cares?
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    alas the fruity speaks out and its true. Who really cares?

Coincidentally I've just heard the advert in BBC and its soo heavily geared for the Button to win it. Most of the advert is about him.... or should I call it a promo? :roll:
  • i'd say ennis or tweddle - her floor work was mm perfect and at about 4 times the speed of the other competitors! and i dont even like gymnastics! ennis is a fantastic athlete and has done really well this year! cavendish has done fantastically well too, but he's gone down in my estimation since he quit on the last day of the tour of ireland in the pouring rain (along with armstrong)
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    3rd: Jessica Ennis
    2nd: Jenson Button
    Winner: Ryan Giggs???????
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    and that is why the british public can't be trusted to vote.

heaven help us in may.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    This strikes me as being like the OBE/CBE etc lists where some obscure civil servant (& I speak as a council employee), gets a gong for turning up & doing his job day in day out, year in year out, nothing wrong with that as such...but what a fuss for doing what you are paid to do.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    following on from Britspin... the case for the defence revolves around (AIUI) that a lifetime of being paid below industry rates is offset by a guaranteed pension and a gong. (Though i cynically suspect the people that generally get gongs in the civil service are still on a good wack!).

It's basically the same argument as tipping - because the employer pays such a cr4p wage, the customer is under emotional blackmail to top up the wages with tips, therefore paying more than the advertised price (notwithstanding the 10% discretionary tip included scam, with the follow up "gratuity" box on the bill/card payment device).

If a decent wage was paid to start with all these hidden back slapping devices would be redundant, and it would be just down to paying what people are worth at the point of delivery.

here endeth the sermon ;-)

didds
  • No doubt Giggs is a great player and a great role model. He does deserve recognition but 'sports personality of the year' does that mean you have to do something significant in said year? ie. win a world championship? like what 2nd and 3rd did?

UK's mainstream sport is football and that's the way it is. It can stay that way for me too, more room in the pool that way!