Home Chat General Chat

Money doesn't make you go faster uphill..

A quote from Bradley Wiggins on Team Sky and its £30 million budget.
Maybe it's something us triathletes could do with remembering...

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    you can see it at a lot of hilly-er events - posh carbon struggling up the hills and a fair few ordinary bikes with better climbers nipping past them.
  • Ha! very true,

happened to me in my last event. slugging away into a head wind on my Specialized Tarmac elite, entry level carbon cycle.
    Got taken by some dude prob twice my age (I'm 28) on a bike which looked like he bought it when he was my age!! I was looking for the basket on the front of it! He finished 2 min's quicker than me on 12 mile sprint distance!

However if i won the lottery I'd still by a P4 and train all day every day. So money can make you faster!
  • MowfMowf Posts: 272
    True. It's the world class coaching and facilities that do that...
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    you can buy all the gizmo's you want, bling wheels, bling bike, aero helmet but the simple truth is that only hard graft will get you up the hills.

I was terrible at climbing big hills, at this became when I tried to the do Tour of the Peaks sportive. So I went away from that with one objective this year - to become a better cyclist in general and to get better at hill climbing.

I've been tryng hard to pound the miles in on the hills, setting my turbo at ridiculous resistance and I have to say its starting to pay off. So while yes I would buy a Ridely Dean or an Argon E114 cause they are cool but I would also be pounding myself (not litterally ) to ensure I could justify the big spend.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Phone called overheard a couple of years ago.
    ''Hullo,is that Dr.Puerto''
    ''Yes''
    ''Hello,I have a huge wedge of cash.Can you make me go faster uphill''
    ''No problemo,who's calling''
    ''It is me,Michael Ras.....''

sorry missed the last name.But apparently money spent in the wrong places can make you go faster uphill.
  • Can't argue with the title of this thread, you need to put the training in to get you up the hills. But always remember, that when you are going up hill, you are going substantially slower than when you gow down the other side, so on the uphill sections this is where the spectators get to have a good long look at you, so make sure your rising the most carbon blinged bike, pimped with all the goodies.
  • Hmmm - not sure that quote is true. If someone told me that the first person to the top of a hill would win £10000 then I guarantee that I'd set a PB on my way up there.
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    I wish there were spectators on the hills that I race!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Just an opportunity to prove him right..or wrong would do me...
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    True. It's the world class coaching and facilities that do that...
    Which cost....money?
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    My first tri was on a £60 steel Halfords MTB with knobbly tyres, wnet up Burton Hill sat down on Lincoln tri. When I learned about these things it was because it had a 28 chain ring and 28 cog.

I dare say as well a lot of the bling bikes are ridden by riders who listen to the 'if you have anything lower than a 23 then you are a wimp' talk that often flies about. The lesser steed riders know nothing of this and have the factory fitted 25s or 27s and lo they get up the hill easier. I sem to recall I have posted about this before.

Then of course there are the old annd bold who ride their faithful steeds and have pure technique, experience and honed muscle power at their disposal - that you cannot buy.