Home Chat General Chat

Pedals + Shoes

hello all

i a looking to take on my first duathlon next april, its been around 7 years since i did any real cycling having switched to running, for last couple of years, so vie decided to give them both a try. i ve just bought a boardman comp bike, and want to get some pedals, and shoes to replace the ones that fitted with straps what do we recommend? i done watt to spend hugh quantities of cash, so looking for a decent recommendation.

all suggestions welcome please.

for running vie all my gear as ive been running 5k, 10k half and full marathons, for last 4 years

regards

Comments

• Any shimano combo. I have the shimano TR30 shoes, which i wear commuting, tri's and road races. Very comfy and as they have seamless insides you can wear them without socks....lovelly in the summer. I have the most basic shimano spd-sl pedals going. I would recommend 105 or above as i have worn them out already.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    personally, if finances aren't extensive i'd go for an mtb or road shoe rather than the relatively expensive tri ones. for first time users the more mtb oriented spd's are great - lots of availability in shoes and pedals means you can get a good clipless setup that suits you (recessed clears, double-sided pedals etc).

road bike pedals/cleats are the same as tri ones, and the entry level stuff is fine. I use shimano entry level spd-sl's and they have done me well for commuting and tri. looks are very similar and will do a job just as well.

road shoes aren't that cheap but tend to be cheaper than tri shoes. wiggle do some fair entry-level road shoes, or there is always ebay! you would probably want to wear socks in races with them, although for dua's that is less of an issue.
  • Have a look at dhb shoes on wiggle, and do a google search for 'outland look pedals'
    you won't be sorry