Home Chat General Chat

Help with bike gears

I'm pretty new to cycling and only got my bike about 6 weeks ago. This is my first bike since I was about 10 years old.

Apart from dropping gear when I go uphill, I'm pretty clueless as to using the gears effectively - does anyone have any tips, hints or advice on how to use the gears properly.

Thanks

Comments

• Hi Grant,

I'm no guru but no-one else responded so hear goes...

The gears are there to help you maintain a reasonably consistent cadence (the rpm you spin the pedals at). There are certain cadences that are more efficient than others (caveats apply!!) and there are differnent ways that you can vary the cadence to acheive different training goals.

My best suggestions would be:

1. Ride with others and see what they do.

2. Buy 220, they often run bike training articles that cover pedaling technique

3. Get a good Tri training book

Hope that helps
  • Rich_CRich_C Posts: 152
    Hi mate,

Im fairly new to it all too mate and found lots of good info just by doing searches on Google.

Loads of great info to be found if you can spend a few hours on the PC.

I found that my biggest mistake was trying to peddle in too higher gear at too lower RPM. When i learned to keep my rpm at around 85 and just change gear to keep this going, i made improvements and lasted longer.

All the best with it my friend[:)]
  • treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    Grant, I've had some experience cycling although not in triathlon - mainly doing fast tours of Ireland and the Italian Alps & Dolomites. The best advice I can give you (from experience) is for the chain set use the standard 53/39 unless it is mountainous but on the back go for a 27 or a 29 , the compromise being you lose the 11 sprocket: You may never use these but if cramp bites you can keep going and I have never missed the the small cogs! i hope this is of some use - as I read it it does come across as somewhat "woolly" Best of luck for 2007
  • GrantGrant Posts: 15
    Thanks for all the advice!