Home Chat General Chat

Turbo Trainer - Which one!??

Im needing to invest in a turbo trainer and have about £175 in the kitty, but dont feel I know enough about them to purchase 'the right one'
Is magnetic or fluid best? In terms of reliability / noise / performance.
Can anyone recommend one?
Thanks!!!

Comments

• iadamaiadama Posts: 60
    I bought a Blackburn Tech Mag 6 on the strength of it winning a magazine group test against more expensive models (in Triathlon Plus, I think), and it's right in your price range. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=43077

I'm not in a position to compare it against others as it's the only one I've ever used, but it seems decent. It's got a lifetime warranty and is certainly a sturdy bit of kit. It doesn't make enough noise to annoy the WAT officer, so can't be as bad as some of the ones I've read about. My only complaint would be that the jump between the levels of resistance doesn't seem consistent; I'm doing mostly base training at the moment, so at level 2 resistance in top gear I'm normally around my zone 2 HR zone, and at level 1 resistance I'm only a bit below it, but level 3 is a BIG jump. But then that's what gears are there for I guess!
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Cycleops Fluid 2 for me. Can't fault it.
  • I borrowed one of the mother in law - I can't say it's great but at £120 it's not the best but it does the job ( although I've not been using it for the last 3 months) Tut tut. :roll:

I really think the more you spend the better on you'll get. That's not always the case but from my experience, as limited a that is, it's true.

I've heard god things re Flava's choice of turbo too.
  • i've got a cycleops fluid 2 as well. easy to set up and pretty quiet. no fancy bells and whistles but does the job.
  • Another vote for the Cycleops Fluid 2!
    I have the Magneto but wish I had the Fluid.
  • I;ve got the CycleOps Mag, only £99, only got it as a short term measure to get me through the winter months, and seems OK so far. If it works out well, then may upgrade next winter for a better version,
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    I got the Fluid 2 in december, easy enought to setup...stick the bike on it and away you go.
    No remotes to fiddle with, just get changing gears and get cracking.
    I bought a turbo tyre, my nomal tyre was showing wear after only about 3 rides... i know a lot of folks said they never suffered but mine did..this was easier than messing around with the resistance.
    Noise is ok....couple of other things, buy the riser block and don't bother with the sweat thong thingy...complete waste of money that...you will sweat that much you need to drape the bike with an old towel! - or is that just me
    i got mine from Evans cycles who were selling with 20% discount...tried Wiggle but they couldn't price match...might be different now.
  • Thanks all! Looks like the Cyclops fluid 2 gets the thumbs up! But just before I shell out - and i must emphasize I am tighter than most! Has anyone had any experience of the The Blackburn Tech fluid Turbo -Apparently similar price to the Cyclops but with life time warranty!?
  • Like Conehead I also have a fairly basic Elite Mag Trainer - my one has 5 levels of resistance via a remote unit that can attach to the handlebars although i have heard of some where the resistance is controlled by a lever on the unit itself. I have been impressed by my turbo and have no issues with quality or noise. At the highest setting on the largest gear i have sufficient resistance to stand on the peddles but it could be a bit harder ideally.
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    There's a tacx flow for sale in the classifieds section. I've got one and it's great