Home Chat General Chat

WAT?

Hi Folks,

Call me dumb I'm still pretty new to the forum! - does WAT stand for Wife(s) against Triathlon? If so have anyone been lucky enough to find a WFT...someone who gets equally excited by the words carbon and areo etc and encourages you to spend your bonus on a Gramin 310XT and a new wetsuit?!

Hope everyone's back in training etc - signed up form my first two of the year today - Wilmslow and Llandudno OD.

Comments

• A ha - thanks!

Good job I bought all my gear post Christmas pre new year - WAT was sort of backdated into the Christmas box!
  • Many thanks, I was also wondering about the abreviations, the only problem is that my wife was looking over my shoulder whilst I was reading and has walked away with a knowing look on her face. Something tells me my tax burden is going to rise!
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    after only 12 months in this game my WAT experience has had a number of milestones that tended to go like this....
    'oh that's good your doing something new'..no WAT
    'oh wiggle delivering again for the 3rd time this month'...small WAT usually night out required...
    'oh you bought a new bike and spent all weeknd riding it and cleared out the garage of all my storage space!'..Large WAT, in the form of 'I am going away for the weekend with the girls and you are having the kids' (both uder 8!!)

now i like the idea of WFT....could avoid payment of WAT...maybe should see the accountant

see this game does really drive you crackers....
  • Wow this is all fantastic news! I have realised what a naive wee wifey I have been all these years and will now be claiming lots of back-dated WAT. How many previous years can I claim for, please?

Thank you all!

From a long-suffering

WENCH
    (Wife Enduring Non-stop Cycling Husband)
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Have you been talking to Mrs Conehead.... i sense a rebellion.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    MrsMimby - unlike the Inland Revenue who can go back 6 years and to whom you are legally obliged to declare taxable liabilities, WAT/GAT/HAT/FAT is not declarable and only liable at the time of BP (Bling Purchase).

The onus is on the WAT/GAT/HAT/FAT officer to impose the demand at the time of purchase as this has to be factored in as part of the triatheletes BAB (Bling Acquisition Budget).

There is a sub clause on the WAT/GAT/HAT/FAT Liability Act that a triathelete can subsititute a lower WAT/GAT/HAT/FAT liability by stealth, e.g. an unexpected night out, bunch of flowers etc. which if accepted by the WAT/GAT/HAT/FAT officer forms a binding contract that all liability for the BP is irrevocably satisfied.
  • Hear hear Zacici!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    wow thanks there Zac, I was worried this would spiral out of control and the GAT officer would have taken the house... thank the lord for my offshoring amnesty granted at the end of the year
  • I have noticed that I have started to pay a diy stealth tax on top of the normal WAT tax (buy a new bike paint 2 bedrooms). Is anybody else paying this and how do I stop it.
    You obviously gave a dilligent WAT officer.

As a WATable BP is non declarable a WAT officer with experience can 'deem' that a WATable BP has taken place. The WAT officer does not have to provide proof as they know that the only valid defence is to provide a full and true account of BP's. This, the triathelete, is normally loath to do for fear of incurring an increased WAT burden.

It is genetic, the presence of the Y chromosome renders the XY male at a disadvantage to the XX female in matters such as these. They assume we are up to or have done something and lets face it in the majority of cases they are right.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    In terms of drug testing parlance I believe it is a case of strict liability...you are responsible for whatever leaves your wallet, even if you thought it was cheaper than that/redder than that/blacker than that etc.
  • Zacnici wrote:
    You obviously gave a dilligent WAT officer.

As a WATable BP is non declarable a WAT officer with experience can 'deem' that a WATable BP has taken place. The WAT officer does not have to provide proof as they know that the only valid defence is to provide a full and true account of BP's. This, the triathelete, is normally loath to do for fear of incurring an increased WAT burden.

It is genetic, the presence of the Y chromosome renders the XY male at a disadvantage to the XX female in matters such as these. They assume we are up to or have done something and lets face it in the majority of cases they are right.
    You argument is compelling, however when instances of off-shoring, e-fencing or hiding in plain site (new wheels simply put on bike in the hope of not being noticed) are discovered they levy a 100% WAT charge ON TOP OF the WAT they would've normally incurred.
  • Where is this madness going to end ? WAT Officers spotting different wheels !!! ( I can only assume they were a different colour )

We're doomed.
    Mrs C you are right in that the WAT officer can impose a levy they deem appropriate, the only defence being full and honest disclosure by the triathelete which on the balance of probability is unlikely.

The prudent triathelete will use the PAYB (Pay As You Bling) Lower Rate Tarrif substitution method:
    There is a sub clause on the WAT/GAT/HAT/FAT Liability Act that a triathelete can subsititute a lower WAT/GAT/HAT/FAT liability by stealth, e.g. an unexpected night out, bunch of flowers etc. which if accepted by the WAT/GAT/HAT/FAT officer forms a binding contract that all liability for the BP is irrevocably satisfied
    Put simply if the triathelete diverts some attention away from their bike etc and give some attention to their partner, remember birthdays, anniversaries, pay compliments, buy flowers etc then many WAT officers will accept that in lieu of either a full audit (to be feared) or a sudden WAT levy based on estimated WATable BP(s)
  • If only WAT was as little as VAT. I bought a second hand bike for £300, or so I thought. The actual price has been a new en suite and bedroom redecorated with new carpet. In reality the total cost of the bike plus WAT is £3,500!!!!!
    lets just hope the Treasury never reads this thread - it might give them bad ideas
    Oh my gosh You have a WAT officer Gordon Brown and Draling would be proud of

Lesson learned - next go full carbon with all the bling
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    It's not just money.. time is also a factor

The tax on a weekend's swim workshop is 1 week holiday in the Med for Wife + Sister.
  • Should WAT be paid on entry fees or are they tax free.
    If so should you tell the WAT officer the full cost or like with bike bling do you only tell them amount that well be in your best interest! So you only pay a small amount of tax
    I favour the PAYB (Pay As You Bling) approach; if the WAT officer feels they are ignored at the expense of your tri activities they may well impose a punitive WAT. Regular but small WAT payments can well lead to a reduced WAT bill.

You should certainly not go for full disclosure, that is reserved as a last ditch defence for a highly punitive WAT, the danger is that would lead to confirmation that you are keeping two sets of WAT books, declared and real. It is for this reason that the WAT officer is able to exact a WAT that they deem appropriate. The WAT officer having evidence of dual book keeping in one instance could then order a full - and I tremble at the words - 'Full Audit'.

I find that the words 'special deal', 'internet price', 'end of season bargain' are terms that the WAT officer is familiar with and there is more scope for creativity. A successful WAT officer though will have used those terms with you so they should be used with care.

Entry fees are easily established so it would be prudent to list the exact amount on both WAT books. I think you will find that most WAT officers will treat entry fees more lightly but a diligent WAT officer will nevertheless still impose a WAT.

Essentially it is a battle of wits and lets face it in that battle the XX chromosome has the advantage over the XY chromosome.