Home Chat General Chat

Dietary suggestions please.

for a 3000 calorie per day diet, for a vegetarian avoiding gluten, I have some ideas, but I may need more so any help would be gratefully received...oh yes doesn't do cows milk either...I am well versed on dairy alternatives, just thought I had better throw that one into the mix...

Comments

• jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Sainsbury's free from range used to include a lot of both dairy and gluten free products, although a lot of them taste like cardboard so I gave up on them. I'm sure tesco and Asda will have similar ranges, they made a reasonable starting point for ideas.
    Gluten free pasta + meatballs
    Baked potatoes
    rice & quinoa.
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Ive been gluten free for about 5 years now, I eat loads of stir fries and curries with rice, anything with potatoes also not a problem. If you make your own currys you can healthy them up by reducing oil and upping good ingredients, stir fries are infinitely changable so just get creative.

Get yourself some doves farm gluten free white bread flour (its a mix of rice, potato, tapioca and something else), you dont need any binding agents and it will make amazing fruit cakes and banana loaves etc. Sponges are a bit of an art but just be liberal with the baking powder (watch out, a lot of baking powders are also about 50% wheat flour!). It will also make some great pancakes and thicken gravy, soups etc. However, do not bother making bread - complete waste of time.

Honestly I wouldnt bother with most of the things in the special diets section of the supermarkets.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Thanks guys, all good places to start. Just so you know, its for a dancer who has slid into anorexia & I am helping in the nutritional/build up phase, but the list of exclusions make life difficult, so any help is very much appreciated.
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    About a kilogram of soreen per day should do the job
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Jellybaby wrote:
    About a kilogram of soreen per day should do the job
    Soreen is not suitable for people with milk allergies, being a bread/cake product I assume it is even worse for people that can't have gluten. If only soreen could be the answer to everything.
    Sometimes the most obvious answer is staring you in the face...it just takes someone else to point it out.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Do they eat fish? If so then i think things like tuna (not tinned) and salmon might be good. Or things like homemade pesto with gluten free pasta?
  • jacjac Posts: 452
    What's wrong with tinned?
    I think fish is off the menu...counts as a living thing in veggiexia nervosa.
    Fresh tuna, grilled either side, or pan fried until browned, but still pink in the middle....mmmmmoist & very tasty... heavenly.
    Tinned tuna, dry dull, lifeless.