Home Chat General Chat

Another Newbie

Hi Everyone,
I am 48, live in Cheshire and am looking forward to my second season in Tri after learning to swim just over 12 months ago. Last year I completed two open water and two pool based events at sprint/super sprint distance and am hoping to increase to OD this year. and maybe 70.3 in 2011.

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Welocme to the froum Chris.

You join us in n the the dream of carbon enlitment.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I'm sorry but new members are only allowed if they live in Costa Rica and have links to an electricians website

Sorry Chris, got suckered in by a stealth spammer posing as a new member and he has persisted with the same opening lines.

Anyway - welcome - it is a friendly site. I have learned an awful lot; ask any question and it shalll be answered, helpful tips and humour abound usually involving carbon and the colour red
  • Hi - another new forum member - have been on the outside looking in for a while and have really enjoyed looking at the various posts. I have decided to take the plunge and contribute at long last!!

Not quite a newbie - Salford OD 2005 and 2007, the Cowman 2008, Chester OD 2009, Bala MD 2009 and IMCH last summer.

By no means any good but really enjoy this sport and thoroughly addicted - the WAT officer sat next to me as I type has voiced loud agreement at this!

Cheers
    Greetings and hearty greetings to the WAT officer .
  • Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the warm welcome, although I am new to tri I have a running background and hope to be able to contribute where possible.
    I have the remortgage in hand and have decided to tax the kids pocket money. I have been wearing down the WAT officer for the last 6 months, so by my reckoning about anytime now she is going to cave in and say just go and buy the bloody thing.
    Now I just have to sort out some training....
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Don't forget the porridge...or soreen.
    new porridge recipes in Thursday 7th January Guardian, check website for details....
    Excellent start

I am sort of from a running background in that before I took up triathlon I had cycled no further than to the shops! I am a better runner than a bikist but improving.

The major purchase is of course the bike, most of us started off with a road bike but after a season or two if you really get hooked you may be looking at a tri bike. A tri bike has a different geometry and this is my very first posting which as you go through explains why I went for the bike I did (and still have and love) the-old-question-which-bike-etc-t14316.html
    another posting:
    entry-level-bikes-advice-please-t20488.html#p20498

In fact there are oodles of postings as bikes are such an emotive subject.

Then of course the swim, I am rubbish but improving, again have a search - then start hitting the forum with questions. Once again welcome and what a cracking start.
  • Hi Zac,
    Thanks for this. I have looked at the links suggested. 18 months on and do you still rate the Focus tria so highly? I notice Wiggle have that bike listed in their sale at £876.
    Yes I love it.

It has had good reviews, my performance improved and my run is faster and easier to get into. Yes I have been overtaken by road bikes particularly on corners but I overtake far more on the straights. It has also performed favourably against other tri bikes and I echo what the reviews say in that you will have to spend almost double to get a comparative performance. In fact one of the guys cited a 220 article where the Focus was pitted against a £3K Cervelo P3 and put in a very respectable performance.

It is well specced and if you tot up the component price you basically get the frame for free! If you maintain it well and later go carbon frame then you can quite easily swap the components over and most feature on builds such as the Cervelo P2C.