Home Chat General Chat
Options

middle chainring indexing adjustment....

OK - I understand about low derailleur adjustment screws looking after the inwards shift on the small chainring, and the H screw looking after the outward shift on the large chainring.

but the web goes strangely quiet when it comes down to moving from small to middle and middle to large.

(FTR My MTB (Decathlon 5.3) drivetrain is Suntour XCM 302 aluminium 22x32x42 chainset. SRAM X-5 9 speed shifters. Shimano C050 front derailleur. SRAM X-5 rear derailleur. SRAM PC951 chain. SRAM cassette. )

what do I need to do to get smooth transition from small to middle and middle to large - at the moment I can just get small to middle if I move the indexing from 1 (small ring) right through to 3 (big ring) but then i can;t get it from middle to big. This has only just started, but in effect the bike is still pretty new and I suspect this is just down to cable stretch.

cheers

didds

Comments

• Options
    ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    There is a mention here:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

But as you say it is a bit scant out there (I have a triple on my road bike).
  • Options
    diddsdidds Posts: 655
    can't make it unfortunately CH... otherwise i'd be there!

didds
  • Options
    huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    didds wrote:
    what do I need to do to get smooth transition from small to middle and middle to large - at the moment I can just get small to middle if I move the indexing from 1 (small ring) right through to 3 (big ring) but then i can;t get it from middle to big. This has only just started, but in effect the bike is still pretty new and I suspect this is just down to cable stretch.
    SOunds like you need more tension on the cable (or that the cable is screwed and needs replacing).

Once youve got your end stops adjusted you can drop to the smallest chainring and release the cable bolt on the front mech, then take up any slack in the cable and re-tighten the bolt. From there shift into the middle ring and if it isn't quite shifting then take up any extra slack with the handlebar adjusters.

After that make sure you can push up onto the big ring and doa ny fine tuning of the end stop.