Home Chat General Chat

new year, new entry!

hello and happy new year to all my fellow 220forum-ers!

this is just a quick one to say happy new year to you all and wish you will get all your tri wishes fullfilled, be it gear to be bought, gifted or stolen (only kiding, i know we are a decent lot!!! ) and new pbs and targets to be achieved!
on a personnal note i must apologise for having been away for so long (to bother you with my naive questions) and to report that i have now entered the antwerp 70.3 on july 25th and i am already wondering what i was thinking...
i have in the meanwhile bought a new bike (bianchi veloce compact monocoque), clip on shoes and look pedals, and i have a long way to go with those, and my swim style and speed, and my fitness (that's suffered one too many cabernet sauvignons and pizzas lately).... but i am sure that the journey (hard as it may be), will be made easier knowing i have the great support of great people on a great forum!

so heres to all you guys, (you know who you are) that make this sport more that than just a race and past time, a great example of camaraderie and sportsmanship!

2010, bring it on!

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    You were obviously thinking;
    be the best you can, where you are, with what you have
    Good luck, I am sure you will achieve your goal - keep us posted.
  • Wow that sounds like a great challange, good luck.

Wasn't London last year your first tri ? I vaguely remember a few pre race nerves ? what progress, well done.
  • sportevesporteve Posts: 141
    thank you both very much!
    yes that is correct spartacus that was me in august, it was my first ever race and i managed to get myself sick with anxiety 1 day before the london tri!
    going for a 70.3 is pretty scary but i do it in the hope that fear itself will be my motivation!
    good luck to us all for the new year!
    Sporteve - Knowledge dispels fear - Fear has no place -

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Excellent stuff, sporteve. I'm looking forward to following your progress through to July! At least Antwerp should be reasonably flat and not too hot!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Zacnici wrote:
    Sporteve - Knowledge dispels fear - Fear has no place -

I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain

''He who is without fear is but a fool.''

Chaucer I think.
  • My name is Peter and I'd just like to say hi to everyone. As everybody knows that nowadays forums are the best source of Knowledge, and through forums we can learn a lot. When I heard of the community I thought it would be wonderful to expand to a new community, meet like minded people and share thoughts and services with fellow members.I am sure there's a lot of interesting topics and discussions happening on this forum and wanted to check it out.I was looking for a new forum to join and the higher powers of Google has brought me here! I look forward to meeting you all and wish you the best of success.
  • Peter, why exactly have you joined this forum?
  • sportevesporteve Posts: 141
    zacnici thank you for the beautiful words - personal wisdom or quotes i am not sure, beautiful and motivational no the less!
    john.e your quote is close to my heart too, fear has often been good to me (things that scare me are the ones that attract me for it is them i need to conquer the most...does this make any sense?)
    jack thank you for your support, and yes the relative flatness of the course is one of the reasons i picked antwerp! i thought that maybe i am not quite ready for kona or lanzarote yet..!
    SportEve - it is the 'Litany against Fear' from the book 'Dune'

Jon.E appreciate what Chaucer said and yes to be devoid of fear is to lack a basic survival mechansim and such people usually don't last very long.

Fear is spawned from the unknown; what I believe one must do when confronted with fear is to analyse it, break it down into its components and then make a rational decision on a course of action. Easier said than done I know depending on the cicrumstances but that is where discipline, knowledge and training the mind comes in. If you are able to confront and rationalise your fears - as Sporteve does - then fear is dispelled and replaced by confidence.

As the motto of No 1 Parachute Training School, RAF Brize Norton says 'knowledge dispels fear'