Home Chat General Chat

What training when?

Hello all,

I am a newbie - Decided to challenge myself and thought I would enter a tri - ( sprint in May ). Have not done any fitness work for a long time so just started running around 3 miles, swimming most days along with lessons ( as I have never been a swimmer). This was all about a month ago - since then I have bought a bike and started riding around 12 mile circuit. I do this at a comfortable pace, zone 2/ sometimes going into 3 HR.
Yesterday I had another brainwave and entered London tri for olympic distance. I am able to train mostly evenings but am willing to put as much time as needed in.
Question is, I have loads of different plans for training and will follow something like the 12 week plan on here for the run up to the sprint and possibly the olympic. But what do I do for base training? Or to fill the gaps between races etc? I guess what I am saying is, what kind of off season / base training should I be looking at?
Sorry if I am talking sh1te but I am just worried I'll overtrain or undertrain and I want to get the most out of the time I put in.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Welcome to the world of tri.....to answer your Q, if you have multiple plans, then sit down & work out how much time you can realistically devote to training without losing friends family sanity etc, decide on a goal ie just finish, or a (realistic) finish time & see which plan will fit those criteria the best. Be prepared for derailment of best laid plans..eg Oh I dunno, say a load of snow falls, stays put & precludes your Sunday bike ride etc , so be flexible & don't beat yourself up over missed workouts, after all you do have time..hope that helps & keep on asking.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    1. Enjoy it
    2. Decide (as Britspin says) how many hours you can commit to each week
    3. Do it regularly
    4. Take things steadily - you don't need to do two much for a sprint, and getting injured (easy to do if you are in one of the older age groups).
    5. Give your self time for recovery. You improve by stressing/overloading your system.. but it is during recovery that your body adapts and you become fitter.
    6. Benchmark yourself - how far can you run/cycle/swim in a time that fits in with the amount of time you expect to spend in a sprint.
    7. enjoy it.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Welocome to the forum and Tri...................

As its been said above, Look at how much time you can spend on training. Make sure this is a realistic time and not a friend and family recking amount.
    Having to many plans of attack to training will just do your head in. pick one and stick with it. Remember base treaining and fitnees come first and speed will come later. You have plenty of time to get yourself to the point of finishing the races.
    Dont go balls out trining now as you will peak to early. And the most important thing to remember is!!

Its all about the enjoyment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rancidrancid Posts: 8
    Thanks for all the replies - all wise words. I will take a plan and just stick to it as you all say, instead of trying to make my own up - I am bound to overtrain if I do that. Thanks very much - I am sure I will post aload more questions up, probably just as random.
    Cheers fellas