Home Chat General Chat

running on ice

hi all,
i live in london where the cold and snow has not been as bad as in other areas, but still there is lots of ice so i have not been cycling or running outside lately
i see many people do however ....those of you who do go out running would you have any tips other than been super careful?
more importantly what kind of shoes do you go running on? normal road running trainers of trail( or whatever they are called)? ...for some reason the idea of running on spikes sounded attractive last week....!
any tips on gear much appreciated...thank you!

Comments

• huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    Ive just been out in london (archway, angel, kings cross, kentish town, hampstead, highgate) and I would say its about 70% clear and can be done safely with small steps on the tricky bits (of the areas I did only hamstead was really hard work).

Take your oyster card and youve always got the option to escape
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Have run in Brum everyday since Tuesday & its fine..using my off road/trail shoes (& don't they look clean now), sticking mostly to grassed areas where snow isn't compacted to ice, when I get to ice, slow to a walk, then once onto snow orf we go. Easy across drives & roads & watch out for ruts.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Britspin wrote:
    watch out for ruts.

Would they be the Midlands equivalent to Chavs,or just a 70's punk band looking for a gig.????
  • I don't bother running on the road in this rubbish. I do go off road, not sure how much you can do in town.

I use Addidas Kanadia trail shoe when I go off road. Mainly because of the price £40 for trainers that wont last that long. They have served me very well, grip like a grippy thing.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    I'be done a few runs in the snow over the last couple of weeks and as long as it isn't too icy I find if very enjoyable. I find compacted snow is quite a good running medium. I've been using my regular runners so no extra grip.
    As I wrote 'ruts' I had Staring at the rude boys playing in my head...& I wondered if anyone else would comment...
  • Hi all,

I have a pair of these: http://www.yaktrax.com/ProductsPro.aspx and they work well on the snow/ice. Before i bought them i spoke with some staff members at one of the sports shops here and even though they were the much less expensive option they reccommended buying these and wearing them on my regular running shoes rather than buying the running shoes with spikes(although i am sure that there are many differing opinions about this). I have not tried these on really flat smooth ice yet but i would think that there is not much you can do to get a good grip in that surface whatever type of shoes you wear. I'm not sure if there is a distribution network in the UK but they would be available on the net.
  • cjay85cjay85 Posts: 7
    I moved out to Oslo a couple of years ago and in the end I had to buy a pair of these for training in the winter. Running on the treadmill for months on end just got too tiresome! http://www.runnersstore.se/Graphics/Art ... 620193.jpg

They do a pretty good job in regards to stability on the ice/snow. However, I wouldn't have bothered spending the money on them before I moved because for the few weeks of the year that they are needed in the UK it is not worth the cost.
  • OranjOranj Posts: 45
    There are also these:
    http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/special ... spiky-plus
    which a friend of mine has.

You can also screw short screws into the bottom of an old pair of trainers (hex heads are best, and done with heads pointing out - apparently that can provide quite a bit of grip)

I've dug an old pair of track spikes out of the cupboard. They are *very* grippy on ice and snow - compacted snow seems to be best, but being only mesh on the upper, quite a bit of snow gets inside them, brrr.
  • I hope this is not considered a thread hijack but my problem with running in Bergen at the moment (apart from the ice) is keeping my feet warm as the only running shoes i have are mesh on the top and snow/ice/rain goes right through them. Does having Goretex make a lot of difference? Does anyone have suggestions for warmth and comfort?

Cjay85 - are there any races you are aware of in Oslo this year?
  • [img:1e0a5s6o]http://www.sancture-sportifs/P1040096.jpg[/img:1e0a5s6o]
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Britspin wrote:
    As I wrote 'ruts' I had Staring at the rude boys playing in my head...& I wondered if anyone else would comment...

Obviously some of the new forumites haven't yet learned the art of derailment yet.But we must show the way.
    So was 'staring at the rude boys',off the original album or from the Ashes to Ashes. compilation?
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    Antony,
    I wear Gortex shoes in the winter for walking to work daily. It makes huge difference in terms of warmth. I have pore circulation my extremities and if I wear ordinary boots/walking shoes after 20 minutes i'll lose feeling in my toes. I don't get this at all with my Goretex shoes. You could also try some Sealskinz socks. I got a pair for sailing to keep my feet dry when I got a hole in my boots, they are great for cycling in too. I got the thick ones so don't fit in my running shoes, but they now make some light weight ones for running/sports.
  • thank you, Jibby26 - looks like the credit card will have to live with another beating...
  • cjay85cjay85 Posts: 7
    antonyfromoz wrote:
    Cjay85 - are there any races you are aware of in Oslo this year?
    There is the Oslo Triathlon - http://www.oslotriathlon.no/ but that is full now (bar Sprint distance). This is my first season in Triathlon's, having come from a long distance running background, so I am not too clued up on the events in Norway at the moment unfortunately! I am planning on joining a tri-club around here so will let you know if/when I find out!
  • sportevesporteve Posts: 141
    cheers guys, it seems there are some really cool options out there, i didn't know of these products!
    what i think will happen now is once i get all slip proof it wont snow again
    thank you all again!
    Staring at the rude boys from my 7'' vinyl I guess, I do have 'The Crack' on vinyl too, and a CD compilation...Ruts Greatest..it also features on one of my studio cycling classes, that wakes them up.
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I find running uphill really no different in the snow. Sometimes your toes will slip out as you push off, but that isn't so bad as long as you know it is likely to happen and keep a short stride. I did 10 miles on sunday around the wimbledon area and it was really nice. Just running in normal running shoes. Keep your feet landing underneath you and you can be just fine. This morning, on the way into work I must have seen 4 or 5 people out in the snow running. Put on a hat and some gloves, its really lovely and peaceful when the snows falling.