Home Chat General Chat

Spinning and road shoes

I'm new to the triathlon game as a whole this year and don't really have any experience with road bikes either. I've just bought a new bike with Shimano pedals and I have got a pair of Carnac road shoes that are using Shimano SM-SH11 SPD-SL cleats - http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16413- ... Cleats.htm

As the weather is pretty bad here I am thinking about going to spinning classes for some bike training. I've never been before and I was wondering if there is any chance that these cleats will be compatible with the pedals on spinning bikes or is it a better bet to just use normal running trainers?

Comments

• These shoe will probably not fit the pedals in spinning classes, they normally use the SPD pedals that are more commonly found on MTB.

Scotty
  • Hi cjay85

Regularly attend spinning classes and use my MTB shoes having alway found that they use SPD pedals.

If you can find a good spinning class fantastic, worth trying different instructors/classes to find one you like.
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    is there such a thing as an adapter??

So that I can wear my Tri shoes (SPD-SL) in the spinning class??
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Take a spanner and your own pedals and swap them over for the session..........
  • Doc ScoDoc Sco Posts: 38
    Hmmm Im having the same issue, bought second pair of cycle road shoes so I could attach the right cleats for spinning and not have to faff around changing cleats/pedals each time, only to find I have 3 holes in my shoes and the spd cleats which I ordered at the same time (and was assured would fit the shoes) had 2! Contacted shop spoke to a very nice young man who assured me once again it was possible to get spd cleats with 3 hole attachments. Is he yanking my chain? Am I going to have to invest in another pair of shoes? :roll:
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    you can get an adapter to fix a 2-bolt spd cleat to a 3-bolt shoe. like this one

i'm pretty sure that spd is defo 2-bolt only and the 3-bolt 'version' os spd-sl which is a totally different system. doesn't sound a brilliant bit of advice from the shop...
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I would take those shoes back, mis sold, not what you need/want.
    As for changing pedals...ask the instructor first, I always insist I do it myself, that way a cross thread (which I have never had, but I know othere centres have) is my fault if it occurs, not the customers.
    Mind you we have triple link pedals which accept spd,look & regular toe straps, most use SPDs.
    Thanks Ris, thats very helpful I will invest in a set, Britspin whilst I agree with regards the shoes cos I have huge difficulty buying comfy shoes I opted for an identical second pair to the ones I know are ok (on the basis the said cleats would fit) so would much rather find a way of adapting them. Wish we had spin bikes like yours but ours are only spd.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Ah a comfort issue changes the view, so which shoes are suiting you best, just out of interest & to see if we can't come up with a recommendation on other similar shoes that may work.

The pedal issue is what happens when a triatlete/cyclist has input into choice of bikes & pedals...but still no one makes pedals that will fit spd & spd-rs yet.
    I using Northwave Vertigo Pro SBS. If i tell you I have had 8 surgeries on the right foot and one on the left and I have a difference of 2.5 sizes between feet you begin to get the picture of why comfort rates so highly. I also have to buy male version as one foot is excessively wide!!!! Can someone exlain to me why I am even doing this sport? Sounds like I should be in some kind of circus alongside the bearded lady huh?!!

Still, I hold to my motto - 'think like a bumble bee' its worked so far!